Sexting??? Important info to talk to your child about~!

There was a news article this morning about a practice called 'sexting'. Where teens are sending nude and promiscuous pictures over cell phones to their boyfriends and other people. Apparently its becoming very popular and at least 2 teens have comitted suicide when it got out of hand and threatened to ruin their lives!!

kristal2146

Asked by kristal2146 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ok... I'm completely ill now. I never did like camera phones. YES! I think it's important to talk to your teen about! ABSOLUTELY.
    shellakers

Answer by shellakers at 11:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We already had an episode or two of this in our Middle School, thankfully it didn't get to the point of harassment leading to suicide, but it caused a big commotion for a while. Make sure you tell your teens and preteens that they should NEVER send a picture out if they're not comfortable with the idea that EVERYONE could see it.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have heard about this. There is also another case about a bunch of 13 year olds whose boyfriends took their nude picture and sent it around school. The 13 year old boy is being charged as a petifile. Which I think is wrong. He's 13, she's 13, my question is where the hell were their parents?? My older kids 13 and 15 have cell phones, and I check their cell phones just about on a daily basis. I have verizon track them. Last year a 16 yr boy sent my daughter a picture of his errect penis, when the phone went off my husband just happened to be next to it and saw it. We called the poilce filed a sexual harrasment charge and spoke with the boys parents. I think it's a parents job to look out for there children, and we need to talk with them about the harsh reality of their actions. I've told my daughter more then once, if you could be ashamed or emabbared and if you don't want the world to know about it, you better not do it.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 10:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• SICK......if I ever see this on either of my teens phones ( and I have looked from time to time) they will loose their phone! I would have no tolerance for this.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• The question mentions cell phones... but it isn't just taking pictures with cell phones, distributing them with the phones, and assumes as well that the photo is taken by the teen themselves.

At a nearby junior high, apparently there were videos being circulated (principally via cell phone but they could have been on a blog, FB, myspace) of girls who go drunk at a party and who were subseuqently very uninhibitied... and filmed!?! The school did a good job of informing students that they would be charged with possession of porn if found with this or any other photo or video or the sort, parents were informed as well... and fortunately, it didn't go to the point of ruining the girls' lives.

Tell teens that it is easier now for them to get caught... someone is always taking a picture, video... and ready to post it to get attention. So don't ever put yourself in a situation where a picture will get you in trouble!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 4:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2009