Baby Sign Lanuage?

Hello All,

I am interested in getting my 11 month old son involved in baby sign language. Has anyone had any experiences with it (good or bad)? Any suggestions on how I go about doing this or if I should even do this? Any advice would be appreciated.

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 10:40 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh we had a baby at the daycare where I used to work who signed and it was great to know what she wanted! I really want to get my little ones into it! I would google baby sign language and see if there might be a teacher near you. I saw a lady advertising on craigslist in the Savannah area that she was certified. Good luck
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have had bad experiences with baby sign language. It is great that you know what they want but all the kids that i've been around that used baby sign language talked much much later. They had no reason to talk because they could sign when they wanted something. I used to work in a daycare center and we ran across this problem alot.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• we started with just a few signs and kept it simple.. just keep doing it over and over.. we have a sign for milk, hungry ( solid food), tired ....
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• absolutely...I have a baby sign book...much better than hearing them whine for everything.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i teach baby sign as my business. I do exclusively ASL(american sign language) that way he/she will be bilingual. my first did excellent with it and my second is doing great as well. um message me and i can send you some of my resources(that goes for anyone out there) if you are interested.
    it is soooo much easier than hearing htem whine in the line at walmart for candy and you just sign no instead of making a scene. ohhhh and i found a great dvd called my baby can talk i got it from babies r us, its excellent.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 1:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I use sign language and voice with my son. I'm hearing impaired, so is his dad. (My son can hear though.) It's amazing how quickly they pick up on it. He signs "more" when he wants more food, or when he wants something. Lol. I have to try to enforce the sign for "food" so he doesn't sign more all the time. It gets the point across though. He's been signing "light" and "on/off" the past week. And "no". It's great. He seems to understand me better when I sign to him vesus verbal communication. It gets the point across better. In my opinion. And he's 8mo old.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2009