Is 38 too old to have a baby?

I am thinking I might like to have another child but not yet. I would like for us to be better prepared financially and I would like to be married to SO before we have a child together. Plus we have only been living together for 2 years now. I am 34 now but wondering is 38 too late to have a baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• nope i have mine when i was thirty seven
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• no, Its not like 38 is old. My dad was 37 when my sister was born and they have a great relationship.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 10:44 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• my mom had my brother when she was 42. if you want another, I say go for it!
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• No,you'll be fine,I have a friend same age as me having one(42) and is doing great.Good Luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i would say if it is something you and your so want to do then go for it
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 10:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• For me, it would be but then I'm 25 and have 2 kids and one on the way. I know alot of people who have been older and had kids. Both of my grandmothers were 40 when my parents were born,.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I am 38 right now and for me personally there is absolutely no way I could do that at this age. Over all though if you think you can handle it...then that's all that really matters. I just chose to have my children younger so that I could enjoy my "older" years. Good luck to you and your SO.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• no
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I had my youngest at 38years old almost 17 years ago. My oldest is almost 25yo and my middle is 21 yo. I'm in my midfifties now and in my small town I'm not the oldest mom of a hschooler. The only time I found it hard to have a baby when I was 38 yo was when I was looking for playgroups, as a stay at home mom, to put my youngest in to back then. The discussions between quite young moms, compared to my age and that I had two other older kids, it was uncomfortable to be much more experienced and calmer being older with older kids. But, I just looked for other playgroups and found them. Being an older mom you don't ever have to wonder what you'll be doing in your fifties and sixties - you'll be still raising kids very likely and possibliy awaiting being a grandmother. Most of your other friends probably by then will be grandmothers for a very long time. My kids have never minded my age-my love of life, kids never sloed me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• nope i know a lady who had a baby at 21 and then another at 39 and shes a wonderful person!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2009