Stranger and Separation Anxiety

My 11 month old son goes crazy if a "stranger" talks to him or tries to hold him. Especially if Mommy isn't there or holding him. I tried to get his pictures taken and that was a nightmare. Now he is even crying when Daddy has him and I walk away. It use to be the other way around. It seems to be getting worse. Any tips? How long does this last? He use to smile at everyone, not anymore. lol. It just breaks my heart when he chases after me crying mama mama mama.

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 10:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• this is completly normal. your child has reached a developmental mile stone mentally, so even though it may drive you nuts it is good. He knows what makes him comforted, you, and knows that he cannot get it or does not want it from anyone else now. it may last from a month to a few months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Mar. 8, 2009