• In the Spotlight:

DO ANY OF YOU BELEIVE THAT PARENTING STOPS WHEN OUR CHILDREN BECOME OF AGE??

A LOT OF PARENTS ARE EAGERLY WAITING FOR THE CHANCE TO SEE THEIR OFFSPRING GO OUT IN THE WORLD ON THEIR OWN, THEY FEEL THEIR JOB IS OVER ONCE THEY BECOME 18 OR SO, AND GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. MY KIDS ARE ALL GROWN, BUT I FEEL MY JOB AS A PARENT WILL CARRY ON UNTIL MY DEATH, WHAT ABOUT YOU ?

Asked by older at 11:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I have 5 children...three are married ,two are still in college...I believe there are three phases to parenting......nuturer , guide, and confidant...... and while we remain parents our entire lives we must be careful to recognize which phase we are in so as not to overstep boundaries.....
    alana118

Answer by alana118 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• oh hell no. im 21 with my own baby still living with my parents, they'll never get rid of me now! lol
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• no your a parent for the hwole life of the child
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I am still learning from my mom and I am 41..
    Where I come from leaving the home at 18 is not something that
    parents say has to happen..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 11:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My mother seemed to think that it was her job to still be parently me long into my 30's. That song "you can't even run your own life. I'll be damned if you'll run mine, Sunshine...." comes to mind. Anyway I stopped talking to her because she didn't know when to mind her own business. The parenting has to stop. Once your kids are adults they have to come to you looking for advice. You don't just volunteer it after a certain point. The relationship has to graduate to an adult level. You will always be their parent, but that doesn't mean they are little kids. It shouldn't be a job anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I HAVE AN ADULT RELATIONSHIP WITH MY KIDS, THEY COME TO ME FOR ADVISE ON A MAJOR DECISION, ULTIMATELY THEY MAKE THEIR OWN BUT I AM ALWAYS INFORMED. I DON'T RUN THEIR LIVES BUT I FEEL MY INPUT IS REQUIRED EVEN IF THEY DON'T FOLLOW IT. ANON, IT IS TOO BAD YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR MOM ENDED UP BADLY, I AM SURE SHE MEANT WELL, REMEMBER THERE IS ONLY ONE MOTHER AND IT WOULD BE UNFORTUNATE THAT MAYBE ONE DAY YOU WILL REGRET NOT SPEAKING TO HER.

Answer by older at 12:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Being a Mom is a lifelong job that I signed up for willingly. I will always be there for them, try to impart the wisdom I have learned over the years and to help them back up if (or when) they fall. But, my policy has always been to let my kids learn for themselves but help and be there when I am needed. I see the shift starting, my 22 year old daughter is already planning on taking care of me in my old age... heehee.
    angelwings2000

Answer by angelwings2000 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I think that a child always needs their parents....your parents will always be wiser than you...I know...no matter what happens in life...my daddy and mom will always have the right answers! No matter what!
    MEnMYryANDboo

Answer by MEnMYryANDboo at 12:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I believe that parenting is a never ending job from when you give birth to when you die. after all, when they leave "the nest" every one still refers to you as that child's mother.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I think being a parent is a lifelong job... I do think though when they get older and move on with their own families you can step back some and guide them, help them with things, but they have to live their life and just be there when needed. But being parents is for always, and all we can do is hope they take with them all that they have learned from you being home, but enough to stand on their own and be fine too. I know I will always support and help my children no matter what either way
    miss372

Answer by miss372 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2009