How comes so many flags all over the world have the colors blue, red and white in them?

Netherlands, France, Russia, USA and so on. Any idea?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They're pretty?

There are a lot of countries, and only so many 'basic' colors'. There are other countries that share the same colors, too. Mexico and Italy come to mind.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well, I would love to say they are all copying off of the US but that theory won't hold water since we are a young country by some standards. Think I will google this and see if there is anything behind it or if it is just coincidence.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Great Britain has the same colors too :-) A lot of those countries were influenced by each other in many ways. It's easy to assume that perhaps the making of their flags is no different. I'm sure that each country also feels that what the colors generally stand for apply to them. White stands for purity and innocence, red is hardiness and valor, and blue vigalance, justice. and Perserverance. Blue can also stand for wisdom and peace.

I don't know exactly when and how each flag was founded in each country but I might be able to assume for some with the older flags, red and blue are primary colors and white is the absense of color. Perhaps those colors were the easiest and cheapest to obtain to dye fabrics and then some of the newer countries/flags just followed suit?
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• some base flag color on symbolism such as white = purity, red = blood of ancestors, etc.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:42 AM on Mar. 6, 2009