Boys With Earrings

If your seven-year-old son wanted to pierce his ear, what would be your reaction. Yes? No? When he's older? Over your dead body?

Fistandantalus

Asked by Fistandantalus at 11:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is 7 and I wouldn't care if he wanted his ear pierced but I'd try to convince him to wait because I know what a pain it is to keep the ear clean and all that. I would do the same for my girls (who are 2, 6 and 8). I doubt my son would be responsible enough at 7. My 8yo daughter might be. My 6yo...no freaking way. She'd have to be like 15, lol. She's too flighty.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I think I would let him do it. Its one of those things that is a little fashion statement for him, and its not permanent. If he wants to take it out later, it'll just close up and be gone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• As a mom of a 7 year old, I'd make him wait a bit to make sure it wasn't just a whim. While I don't personally like the look on a boy, it's his body, his decision.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I will say NO. He can get it when he is older.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i peirced my sons ears when lets see Randon was.....7 or 8 and Stan would have been 4 or 5, we just did one piercing on each boy.
    RJSMOMMA

Answer by RJSMOMMA at 11:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• It IS permanent, contrary to anonymous' response. If you leave it in long enough, it certainly is permanent.

Other than that, babe, I can't answer this...I have no sons. I don't know how I'd react exactly.
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 11:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Sure, why not? My stepson was probably like 8 when he had his done
    MusikMama

Answer by MusikMama at 11:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I will tell him he has to be out of my home and able to pay for it and maintain it on his own, just like I'd tell my daughter if she wants to chemically alter her hair. It looks tacky to me, I hate seeing it.

Spyse

Answer by Spyse at 12:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have a different take on this. I tend to think of fashion as being something that is the interest of older kids. I think it's letting them grow up a little fast. I know you and yours are not big on pop culture, and he's not getting the idea from school, so I would wonder where he got the idea. If it's from his dad, I would just tell him he can be like dad when he is a bit older. Your husband probably waited until he was a little older than seven, right? That would be my take.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 12:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I would let him. I let my daughter get her ears pierced when she was 5. She already had a mad "stick on" earring habit by then so I knew she really wanted them done. Maybe try the stick on earrings and see if he really does wear it almost every day and if his level of commitment is really on par with the permanence and maintenance issues of piercing.

mamaphouka

Answer by mamaphouka at 12:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2009