• In the Spotlight:

What can I suggest to my sister in regards to my niece?

My niece is 8 and a half. Great kid but she is impossible to deal with because of her complete lack of attention. She cannot seem to stay on task to save her little butt. My sister had her hearing checked so we know it's nothing to do with that. She is what we refer to as "a fart on a skillet". Her school work is often not completed on time, simple tasks such as getting ready for school in the morning often result in some sort of battle. Her ped doesn't seem to think it is any big deal and that she will grow out of it. I am just growing concerend that it might be something that she needs to see a specialist about and maybe have some testing done. Any advice or suggestions as to what sort of Dr we should take her to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Rebecca7708, spirted is ver different then what is being described. Why should the child suffer if there is a possibility she can be helped. I have to agree with the ADHD. I have 7 kids and never had any issues until my 7 year old. I have dug in my heels about medicating but I am not helping him, it is hindering him, so I am setting up the date. If it is true ADHD she will not learn to focus on her own...you desricbed my son to a "t" I would bypass the doctor and head towards the school. Demand that they help and test....it is your sisters right.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:06 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Great book Have a new kid by Friday by Kevin Leman. Is she the last born personality. Its all have fun now type...I am and so is my 8 yr old. I get her attention by turning off the tv and puting her stuff away.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 12:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Bed time should be 8pm and her clothes should be ready the night before. I sort our clothes the night before. Good luck.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Funny thing as she does all that. My sister is a very scheduled person. My niece however can get lost in space just getting her shoes on. If you don't stay on top of her she will....drift off someplace.
    Anonymous

• Have any pamphlets or literature on ADD/ADHD? Leave it at her house. It sounds like she may be ADHD. I am surprised that the school hasn't said anything seeing her schoolwork is affected by it. Structure and schedules are very important. My son is 12 and has always been "hyper" and I learned to have a schedule and stick to it. He is on meds but I tend to forget to give it to him and the schedule really helps, so does being on his back all the time. It is very hard for him to get and stay organized--his English teacher is awesome in trying to get him organzied but it's a loosing battle because he forgets everything.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• have the school test her for any disorders. They will do it and pay for it too.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Why, why, why is everyone so quick to run to a specialist or diagnose with something? Why is it that as soon as a child shows any sign of being spirited or maybe having a personality, we want to drug them up or label them? Yes, some of these children genuinely do have a problem and need help. This could just be part of who she is. Let her be a child for awhile. If her mother is really concerned about it, then her mother should insist to her doctor that she have some testing done.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Try giving her one task at a time. Very simple tasks at that. Here is an example. You tell her to clean her room. She goes (maybe) picks up 2 pieces of paper and decides she is done. You tell her to take her dirty clothes to the washer. She comes to you for the next step. You praise her and tell her the next step is to pick up all of your toys. She reports she she did it you praise her and tell her the next step. Using different phrases each time. Such as you picked up all your clothes so fast. I bet you cant pick up your toys faster. It is an encouraging challenge and it does work. Slowly you can increase it more tasks over a long period of time. It happened with all 3 of my kids at the beginning of being a tween.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 6:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2009