I can't afford to get a divorce.We can't afford 2 households.

I live in NYC.I have three kids 7,9,11 yrs old.I' trying to get a part-time job,while kids are in school.The problem is that my "husband" doesn't make enough $$ to support us ,so 2 households are out of the question right now.
So,I'm reaching out to single moms.How do you juggle work & kids & $$,when you don't have another person to rely on? Are there financial assistance available for moms that I'm not aware of ? (not public assistance)
Do you hace access to helpful websites?
How did you take the first step toward independence?
I would appreciate any helpful advice.
Thank you! (my earlier question was deleted)

elisa09

Asked by elisa09 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• Your children are of school age so the first thing I would suggest is to get a full time job during their school hours if possible. There are housing assistance programs that go by your income. Those are helpful. I went to college and used a lot of my school money to live off of. It's not easy but it's a do-able thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Downgrade your lifestyle. I know there may not be much to downgrade. You may have to move to a smaller home or less expensive location to cut "overhead" costs. And the fact is dh will have to get a better job to pay child support. Maybe this will encourage him to do better so he has something left for himself.
    There was a story like this on Oprah yesterday, just fyi.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009