Did that law go into effect requiring extra testing on consignment shop items?

I have a TON of stuff I want to get rid of. I was thinking of taking it to a connsignment shop, but I don't know if they will accept it all. Was that law passed?

StifflersMom82

Asked by StifflersMom82 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Someone else will answer with the specifics, but that law was revised so the small thrift stores and consignments shops dont have to. I believe small stores who sold new clothing had to though. I think some boutiques were closing because of it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:47 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• It does not effect consignment shops
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have seen that the childrens consignment shop I usually go to is closing, I haven't been in to ask them the reason yet so I am not sure. I would hope it doesn't affect thrift/consignment stores but I am not sure on that
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Couple of links I just found:

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/new_law_set_for_lead-based_toys_clothing/12673

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbus/cpsiasbguide.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yes, it does effect them as well. Some places are choosing to operate without doing it and stand a chance of being shut down so you will need to find out what's going on with each individual place. Just call them and ask.
    Anonymous

• "Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards."

Link

Thrift stores still cannot sell specifically recalled items, and there's still the issue of the whole Etsy market, but the testing law does not apply to thrift or consignment shops.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• It seems that thrift and consignment stores can still sell the items, here is what I found on the CPSIA website:

"No, you are not required to test. However, retailers and resellers (including those who sell on auction Web sites) cannot knowingly sell children’s products that do not meet the requirements of the law. You can protect yourself by screening for violative products. But more importantly, as a business person, you do not want to be selling products that have the potential to cause harm to anyone, especially a child. Sellers should avoid products likely to have lead, phthalates, or do not meet mandatory toy standards (see Table C for a list of commonly sold goods).

It is now against the law to sell a recalled product. Remember to check the list of recalled products on the CPSC Web site as a number of children’s products have been recalled. "
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yes, that stupid law was passed, but my friend owns a consignment shop and she refuses to shut down. It's ignorant to have passed this law.
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 2:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't agree that the law is ignorant, it protects our children. Why is it ignorant to not have pthalates and lead in our childrens items when they are obviously dangerous and not necessary? I think it's a good law now that they DON'T affect thrift/consignment stores, according to my findings in the post above, which is from one of the reputable sources of information on this law.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Actually the law states you cannot sell anythin gover a certain number. It also states that they aren't goin gto check things like resellers, garage sales and consighnment shops... Go figure
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2009