• In the Spotlight:

Are you able to tell at 16 weeks?!

I went in yesterday for an appointment (I'm 10 weeks and 2 days) and they were jsut going to use to doppler to listen to the heartbeat, but we couldn't find the heartbeat, so we ended up having another ultrasound (YAY!)She then said I will have another appointment in 4 weeks and then schedule one for 2 weeks later (ill be 16 1/2 weeks when this comes along) to see if its a boy or a girl! Is this possible? Or did I get it mixed up and need to throw another 4 week appointment in there?! AH!

StacyDeAnn

Asked by StacyDeAnn at 11:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ya you can tell but that early can be tricky because a boy can be confused for a girl still i found out at 17 weeks we are having a girl and we confirmed it at 27 weeks lol it is possible but hard to do
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I found out at 16 weeks with my first, 33 weeks with this one lol.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I found out at 12 weeks that I was having a girl, but the ultrasound tech said that was VERY early. I went back a 16 weeks...still a girl. Born...A beautiful little girl!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 11:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• It all depends on the doctor and the insurance company. Most people have to wait until 20 weeks if they need to go to an imaging place to have the gender determined in order for insurance to pay for it. By 20 weeks the baby is big enough and there's a greater chance of determining the gender without having to do the US all over again. It is different with a doctor's office. If they have an US machine in their office, they are at liberty to check for the gender as early as possible (gender can usually be seen by 10 weeks) without restriction from the insurance company. They can definitely tell by 16 weeks. I found out at 18.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2009