how do you make someone a god parent officially??

i just had my daughter 2 weeks ago and it had me thinking, if something ,god forbid, were to happen to me or my daughters father, i would want my sister to have my daughter.
she is prepared and ready financially, she is great with children, has 3 of her own and mentally and emotionally can handle it, and even agreed to WANT to have her if i or her father passed away...

and my mother said i need to put it in writing and/or make her the godmother...
so, what do i need to do to officially make my sister the godmother of my daughter?? is it something you have to do paperwork or what???

thanks

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't you have to baptize your kids in order to give them a Godparent?
    Anonymous

• no
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• You will need to have legal papers drawn up by an attorney. It will state that if anything happens to you, she will be the legal guardian. Godparents are not legally anything to a child. You need to see an attorney.
    Anonymous

• You should write a will. There are forms online, but best way to make sure there are no loop holes is to see an attorney. This is true of anyone with children.
    Anonymous

• Guardians are the first caretakers of kids after a parent's death, identified by name in a will either prepared by a lawyer or yourself, Give copies to others. Do up a will with your partner and name guardians in will. Godparent is a religious issue, guardian is a legal issue.
    Anonymous