CHEAP dinner ideas??

We had the classic tomato soup and grilled cheese last night and we have been eating things like hot dogs that I found for 88 cents a pack, 2 for 5 pizzas, stuff like that...any other ideas? We are really having to save our pennies right now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I made a beef stew in the slow cooker the other day. Pick any beef that is on sale and fry it up. Throw it in the slow cooker with a can of tomato soup, a packet of onion soup and some water. Then ad fresh, frozen or canned veggies (I did canned new potatos, canned green beans and fresh carrots). It was really good and if you get the meat on sale and use whatever veggies you have in the house, it can be cheap. The stew will keep in the fridge for a couple of days so you can eat it for lunches too. Tuna sandwiches and tuna casserole are always cheap and high in protein. PB & J. Breakfast for dinner. (i.e. Cheese omlets).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We do a lot of tuna casserole. We also use ground beef alot, check if you have a meat market locally. We buy our meat there and often get it considerably cheaper than the grocery store. We buy ground beef when it's on sale and freeze it. You can make spagetti and meatballs, meatball subs, swedish meatballs, sloppy joes, cheeseburgers, tacos, burritos, shepherd's pie, cheesy mac & beef. I also have a soup recipes that I got from my dad's best friend's wife many yrs ago, brown the ground beef, put it either in an oven-safe pot or a crock pot, add 2 cans of tomato soup and 2 cans of veggie soup, add either 2 packets of brown gravy with the corresponding amount of water or 2 cans/jars of brown gravy. chop up some potatoes and let the whole thing simmer (or crock-pot on low) all day. It is super delish and great for a cold day, but not too bad in the summer either. It's pretty cheap if you buy the soups on sale, even not on sale.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Oops...meant to say let the soup simmer in the oven @ 350* all day.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We do a lot of burritos and stuff. I buy a bag of dry black beans and cook them.. cheese, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes and lettuce. Yum
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• just watch for specials at the store. beans are a good quality inexpensive protien!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Mac & cheese casserole, tuna casserole, spaghetti, tater tot casserole, chicken breasts cooked and cut up in stuffing mix and baked with gravy. Watch for sales on meats. Meatloaf is also a good idea.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Join the Crockpot Moms group here! I've been in that group for a while and have found several recipes that are cheap and yummy!!
    Anonymous