My 6 month old wakes up 2-3 times a night crying and when I go in her eyes are closed, I'll put her binkie in her mouth and she'll be fine. Is there a way to break this habit without using the CIO method?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could see if you can get her to go to bed at the beginning of the night without the binkie. With my daughter around 5.5 months instead of going straight from nursing to bed (which made her want the binkie to keep herself soothed), I would wake her up a bit, read her a book, and then sing to her in the dark before putting her down. So she'd go down awake but somewhat tired. Instead of crying, which is what she would have done if I had put her down there right after nursing, she'd just lie there awake talking to herself and then drift off. We threw the binkies away. She wakes up a lot less often. And learning to soothe themselves to sleep at the start of the night leads to them putting themselves back to sleep, often with little or no crying, during the night. Sometimes I'll hear a little fuss, but I'll wake up a few minutes later and realize she's stopped on her own and that I've fallen back to sleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My DS cries in his sleep. Is it possible that this is what she's doing? If so, there's nothing that I know of that can be done about it, other than soothing them with a binky (babies can still suck on binkies, even when fast asleep lol). It may be something she has to grow out of.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yep, I agree, I think its something she will just grow out of eventually.
    RomansMom25

Answer by RomansMom25 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• for a minute i thought binkie meant a blanket lol I forget people call paci's binkies.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I would say if you don't want to let her cry it out on her own (which I didn't do either so I not judging) it's something you have to let run it's coarse. She'll out grow it soon I'm sure.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2009