potty training

ok, so my 22 month old son is starting potty train, I would take him to the bathroom once an hour, he sits for 2-3 minutes tops and I bribe him with some toilet tissue, he like ripping them and wiping the seat with it then tossing it in the toilet? anyways he just sits there and does not pee, and then he says after 3 minutes all done, I try running water in the sink and also pouring some warm water on his peepee wich he likes that but he just does not pee.
My question is what else I can do?, should I take him more aften or force him to sit longer, I want him to enjoy his time there, he hated the little potty but he kinda likes the small seat that goes on top the toilet. and that's what I've been using for the past 2 weeks, let me know ladies

Shaima78

Asked by Shaima78 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I never tried the method where you sit them on the potty at regular intervals. What worked for me was the "3-day method" (not 3 days for us, more like a week, but still, wow!). You move straight to underwear and spend the first few days doing nothing but potty training. You wait for them to start having an accident and move them to the potty, and reward them every single time a little bit ends up in the potty. It takes a huge commitment for the parent during those first few days which, admittedly, are hell, but the payoff is huge! I think it works better because they don't see sitting on the potty as "doing time" or a time-out of sorts, so they don't resent it. They learn the "need-to-go" feeling more quickly, too. There is EXTENSIVE discussion of this method in the Cafemom forum "Potty training moms"... there's a journal post by Andrewsmom and a lot of good advice. It worked like a dream for our 19 mo.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My son is now 13yrs of age and I now take care of a 19month girl. So my advice for you mom, with my son he always went to the bathroom with his dad or I every time and sat there with water trickly in the sink. Step stool in front of toilet when daddy is around and placed colorful cheerios so he can aim to them. The 19month girl i do every time I go she sits on the toilet every time she goes to the bathroom I applaud. So just praise your child at all times and do not hesitate to go to the bathroom every time you go take your child.
    Caringme

Answer by Caringme at 2:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2009