This economy and ways to save money with inexpensive healthy meals(ideas)?for a 1 yr. old

eggs is what I have been doing alot of.
hotdogs
noodles for a quarter
lentils

2mothershelpers

Asked by 2mothershelpers at 1:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Frozen veggies! I mix frozen veggies into just about everything. Or green peppers, which are pretty cheap where I'm at, are great in scrambled eggs. So are mushrooms. But if you get the right seasonings, you can make just about anything healthy and tasty! and cheap! Canned beans, too Home-made spaghetti sauce is REAL cheap and REAL healthy. Especially if you buy whole wheat noodles, which are cheap if you can buy them in bulk.. (i go to WinCo) I've found the more homemade everything is, the healthier and cheaper everything is. I never buy anything with high fructose corn syrup, enriched flour, partially hydrogenated oil, artificial sugars or sugar in the first five ingredients and I am on an EXTREMELY limited budget. You can avoid choking hazards by sticking your little ones portion in a blender, and voila! baby food you can feel good about.
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 1:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Bananas are an inexpensive fruit, they mix well with generic cheerios for breakfast. Look for what's on sale and you can buy a lot, even if it's veggies you can puree and freeze. We do that with broccoli when it's on sale, we buy a bunch, steam it and stick it in the blender with a little of the steam water. Same with avocados. They're usually super expensive, but ever once and awhile you can find a deal and we make a puree, alone or with bananas that you can freeze in ice cube trays. If you want some easy frozen meats, look for the ones that aren't marketed toward kids and they'll be cheaper. We get cod fillets instead of fish sticks, etc. Black beans are one of my toddler's favorites, and sometimes we make burgers out of them. But you're right, it's not terribly easy to feed kids healthily on a tight budget.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2009