would it be rude or "something" if i bought a lunchbox for my niece??....

I care for her during the week, she is about to turn one and should be tasting and learning new foods - which her parents are BARELY doing. The other child I care for is only week apart and almost on all regular foods. (cut up very tiny). I want to get her a lunchbox for her 1st birthday - is that tooooo much of a hint that they should realllly start working on foods with the baby???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No I think it would be cute.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• There is a school of thought that if you don't introduce foods until after they are 1 that there is less of a chance for food allergies.
    Now I don't really follow that but do you give your niece solids while she is with you?
    You might even drop the hint that it might be cheaper than buying baby food. I know that it is much easier for some parents to just grab a jar to feed the kids but - its not the best plan.
    PS I think that you should get the lunchbox and fill it with age approiate foods. (its a great idea!)
    Anonymous

• In most parts of the world babies are fed exclusively breastmilk until a year old, just to put that into perspective. My son is 9 months old and only eats solids once a day. They don't need anything but breastmilk at this stage, and considering that America is the fattest nation in the world, we might want to consider what other countries are doing and take heed.
    I don't think it's rude to give the lunch box, it's a cute idea, but don't be offended if she's not using it right away
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• yes i do give her solid foods. she loves them, and does very well. occasionally mom will give her solids at home. not often at all.
    Anonymous

• My son wasnt eating solids all the time at that age either, but no i dont think it would be rude at all. Lol, his grandparents bought him potty chair for his first b-day. I was like "what the heck am I going to do with that" lol
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2009