Penis Question

My DS was circumcised the day we came home from the hospital. He is 5 months old now and there is still some extra skin which is normal but it re-attached to the head of his penis. Last week his Dr. pulled it loose and I know it hurt him oh he cried. He told me to keep pulling it back and putting Vaseline on it. He said that it was because he has some fat down there pushing that skin over his wee-wee. Has anyone else had this problem and will it go away eventually?

ZachsAngel

Asked by ZachsAngel at 1:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its pretty normal for chunky babies. my sons was the same way and the reason it hurts is because its getting stuck. you should have been and maybe you were retracting his forskin from day one at aleast 3 times a day. just keep putting vasaline on it and pulling it back at diaper changes. usually by 6 or 7 months its gets better. once he starts to thin out you wont have any issues.
    Anonymous

• My son did that too. Only his never hurt him, but what your Dr is saying makes perfect sense, keep vasaline on it. I would maybe push him to get more details on it though like how long will you have to keep doing this? And why does it hurt him after all this time?
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 1:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Poor baby. Sounds like they may have done a bad job on the circumcision and possibly left a "flap" of skin that should have been removed? I would maybe get another opinion before it's too late and he ends up with a "messed up" penis the rest of his life. (Think of his adulthood and future wife). Might cause psychological issues later on?????
    Anonymous

• this is a very common problem when the pediatricians do the circs....it sounds like he has adhesions and if you stop putting vaseline on it the same thing will happen...if it continues to hurt your poor little guy you need to see a pediatric urologist. They are actually trained to do circs....I am a surgical assistant and you have NO idea how many redos of pedi circs we do...good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well it only hurt when the Dr. pulled the skin loose, it doesn't hurt now but I am doing my best to make sure that it doesn't happen again. I think it makes sense to me too about the fat causing the issue. Some people have never heard of such a thing and are worried by it. I was thinking that it might be a common problem.
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 1:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My L&D doc did it. But um it looks normal to me. There isn't a lot of skin at all, when he gets an erection it looks completely normal. He does however have a pretty big fat roll on his lower tummy right there so it makes sense. I don't think they messed up and I don't think that I would let it go untreated long enough to give him psychological issues later on! Duh. Just wondering if anyone else has had to keep doing the Vaseline thing and for how long.
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 1:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Thank you anon, that is what I was thinking! I have been pulling it back but before last week I didn't know that I was supposed to, i felt so bad that I let it get like that. Now I do it every diaper change just to make sure. I was thinking that once he started walking and loosing some of that fat that maybe it would resolve the issue.
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 1:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My second and third son have that as well. Every time you change his diaper pull back the skin. They're suppose to grow "out of it" by the time they turn 2 years old. My middle son is 20 months and it looks a lot better than it used to.
    azn_ladie82

Answer by azn_ladie82 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Thanx so much! :o)
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 2:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2009