Credit card overlimit fees

So my sister called me today to ask if I knew if an overlimit fee popped on a credit as soon as the money was spent or if it didn't show until the statement cut when the finance charge posted. I have never had this happen to me, so I don't know. I have only had my credit cards for a couple of years, so I don't use them much. She is so worried because she had an emergency and paid the hospital copay with her credit card, only to find out she did it the same day her finance charge from the last statement posted and she didn't have as much as she thought she had on her card. She knows she can pay it down before the statement cuts, but not before the payment posts to her card. Anyone have experience with this?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am pretty sure that it is as soon as the payment posts. If I were her, I would make a payment ASAP and then if an over the limit charge shows up, I would call them and nicely ask them if they will remove it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I would put the money in as soon as possible. If this is the first time she can probably call and ask them to reserve the charge and explain the oversight.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 2:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i think it as soon as the payment posts. i only know this because i had my credit card stolen and with in a matter of hours they had maxed out the card and i had hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• It varies. Read the terms and conditions of that credit card.
    Anonymous