weening

i have a 7 month old and been breastfeeding her. my goal was 6 months and she was doing great but shes been teething so shes gotten set back alot. i really need to ween her for many reasons. i`m not producing as much. it hurts. i currently have a small infection that requires antibiotics and in order to take them i cant breastfeed her for the 10 days required. she was getting really good with eating during the day, stage 2, cereal, mums, puffs and all that good stuff. shes even on a sippy cup. suggestions appreciated

taysmom73008

Asked by taysmom73008 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, you should be giving her formula instead of breastmilk. Will she take a bottle or are you planning on putting formula in the sippy cup? Whichever, I'd just replace one feeding every couple of days with formula. Be consistent. She'll get the hang of it. (I weened at 6 mo. and I don't think she even noticed. I weened to a bottle and I actually think she preferred it over me.) Formula suggestion - Kirkland Signature (Costco's generic). It is just as good as Similac/Enfamil, it mixes better, is half the cost and my daughter prefers the taste. Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• when I started giving my LO more formula he was reluctant at first to take a bottle from me. I had to get other people without the magic boobs to feed him with the bottle and eventually it just worked out. Just keep trying. But I had to because I just don't produce enough for him so it was a 24-7 thing now I just BF at night, some how I still have some milk Idk LOL we are about to do just formula because he is teething too and yes it does hurt soooooo bad!
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 1:47 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i didnt wean dd till 20mo. but go slowly. drop a feeding every few days... if you wean to fast she may get really upset & you will also get engorged so take it slow for both of you :)

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have to mention that most antibiotics are safe for nursing, and if it's truly not, there is almost definitely an alternative that is compatible with nursing. I'm mentioning this so that you don't stop if this is something you'd like to continue. If you still want to wean, ignore what I've said.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2009