How do I go about talking to my Daughter about the bird and the bees? She has already asked alot of questions that I was not ready for... so I think it may be time to have the talk.

MyKidsRGREAT247

Asked by MyKidsRGREAT247 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• There is a wonderfully large selection of books at bookstores that are written in a way that helps parents talk to kids about this. My son was 9 when he wanted more info than I knew how to approach with him so I bought the one I thought was right for us and it really helped.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Ask the school nurse for some recommendations of books. There are lots at the bookstore. One has "My body "..I just can't remember the rest of the title. Also, just answer her questions as best as you can. Be honest but age appropriate. My son is 12 and recently busted me out about how babies are born. When he asked I told him that the doctor does surgery to get the baby out. (That was how he was born). He learned the "normal" way in health class. It is much better for the kids to learn from an adult than from kids in school--I have funny stories about what my son "learned" from his friends.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Ask her what she already knows then ask her if there is anything she wants to know. Follow it up with an open invitation to come to you and ask more questions. They normally can only take small doses of "the talk" so we have to make them a series of chats. Stress self esteem and self respect and don't forget to throw in the stupid lines guys come up with to get sex from girls who will allow it AND the consequences of their actions if they do. wow, I'm glad that part of my life is over!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• answer JUST enuf to please her,,, make sure she asks questions or maybe give her a notebook,,, for you and her only,,, she can write down things she wants to know,,,, dd and i went to the library and took our notebook,,,, i wasnt ready either,,, i was surprised how little info she really needed!!!! but if we dont tell them and answer questions someone else will,,, i usually ask her to tell me what she thinks the answer is (( to her ??)) then i elaborate on that,,,,, this gives you an idea on what she already knows... GOOD LUCK,,,,, we will have plenty more talks i am sure of it,,,, less is more but leaving unanswered ??? is NOT a good idea..... FUN FUN
    30andstillgrowi

Answer by 30andstillgrowi at 6:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• How old is she? But, do this yourself. You know how you want her told and how much you want her to know. You can do this with love and compassion; however, if you don't answer her questions, she will go and find the answers in a way you didn't want.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I know how you feel I am going through the same thing. My daughter is 13 and asking throughts questions. I will set her down and have that talk. Just her and I.
    Mudpie123

Answer by Mudpie123 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2010