Have you ever dozed off while nursing?

is it ok to nurse in bed and fall asleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to do it all the time.
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 2:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well that depends on you! :) and the baby. I wouldnt recommend it on a newborn because they can always press against your breast & sufficate if they dont have good head control, but once they have head control i dont see a problem with it.
    I had the hardest time staying awake while nursing too. and once i felt it was safe we would nurse & sleep. infact once she was old enough to find it herself (like 4/6mo old) i would sleep with my shirt up so she could nurse without having to bother me. lol. it would wake me up-but I wasnt having to move any so it made life easier! and those simple things can mean alot for a new mom.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yeah, my daughter still nurses at night at 14 months and I don't wake up. I have always nursed her while in bed and just fell asleep. Think of it as another perk to breastfeeding. You don't have to be awake and coherant to do it, lol.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• just don't fall into a bad habit like when theyre 1 yrs old, they'll depend on nursing to fall asleep
    Anonymous

• are you trying to say something anon?!?!?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Is there some problem with a baby wanting mommy to fall asleep?
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I agree navy-wife! If it wasn't for me sleeping while he was munching on some boob I would never sleep! We still co-sleep & BF and he's 5 months I luv waking up to his sweet little smile!!! As for bad habits......... My LO will only fall asleep when he is certain that he isn't gonna miss something, boob or no boob.
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 2:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My 16 motnh old still nurses to sleep. She sleeps with me so I her night feedings are easy and I can sleep as well.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with baby wanting mommy to fall asleep at all. If you think about it they didn't sleep alone when they where inside u why would they want to now? And if they can sleep without u that's great too!
    ZachsAngel

Answer by ZachsAngel at 2:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I did all the time with my youngest. She never depended on nursing to fall asleep.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 4:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2009