Creative Garage/Yard Sale Tips?

Every year my community holds a neighborhood-wide rummage sale, and I've done one for years. Each year I try to do something different with pricing, offering specials, and just how my stuff is arranged. Ive turned my garage into a mini-store.

Its turned into a bit of a competition between the neighbors as to who can out-do the other by offering creative sales and displays to draw people in.

Ive tried a lot of stuff, so Im looking for creative tips for my upcoming sale, its not till June but I start getting thing going in March. I sort, clean, inspect everything, and this year will be our biggest yet. Last year we made over $600.

So, Im interested to know what everone else does. The more creative the better! Even if its not all that creative but worked for you Id like to hear that, too!Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Shopping

• if its that serious maybe you could look into the techniques that craft fair shows use .. good luck
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My neighbors sold breakfast tacos and coffee (and sodas and get this fresh squeezed orange juice) at theres. Everyone went to theirs first because they wanted breakfast AND they told me they MADE $460 on the food they sold!!!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i meant theirs not theres!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I agree about the food! We just had a yard sale to benefit our daisy scout troop and we also sold drinks and hot dogs, we made a couple hundred dollars on the food.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:36 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• You could offer a raffle ticket for every $10 someone spends (or whatever amount works for you)
    and give away a mystery gift or something. When I was PTO president the thing that we ALWAYS made the most money on were raffle baskets. We used to have each student contribute something to a basket (each class had a theme). Then sell tickets (like a chinese auction.) There would be a container in front of each basket and you would put your ticket into the can for the basket you were interested in.

You could do a 4th of July Basket, A beach basket, A gourmet food basket, a kids sports basket, you get the idea. You could use stuff you were going to sell any way and maybe you would have to spend a little to make some but it would be different. Make sure you advertise "Raffle drawing"

Best of Luck to you, and I would be curious to know how your sale goes!!
    Deb
    dlb99

Answer by dlb99 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• thanks for these great tips, I like the idea of a raffle and breakfast. I will definately see if i can incorporate those into my sale. SInce I have regulars that come every year, I started keeping a notebook near the checkout area where people can write their name and email address, and throughout the year I inform them when Im going to be at some other community-sponsored rummage sale, and they always show up. Ill also email them some 'sneak peak' photos and descriptions of what will be at my sale.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I want to live near you!!! I love to go yard sale shopping and only stop at attractive yard sales - picky, I know. Which neck of the woods do you live - or live near? I'm in northern VA just south of DC.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2009