What is the best way to get sidewalk chalk out of kid's clothes?

I swear, Crayola makes everything else washable, but it seems even with Shout and Oxyclean, it never comes all the way out.

Asked by threeisenuff at 2:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Huh; we buy the cheap chalk from the dollar store and it always just washes right out; I've never had it stain -- sorry...

• Have you tried using an old tooth brush to scrub it?? We just buy the cheap stuff now because Crayola Chalk does get all over..LOL Good luck Sara!

Answer by laura7485 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have never had a problem getting chalk off of my gs's clothing... try soaking the clothing in a sink of warm water your laundry soap and what ever stain stick you use applied to the stains for about 15 minutes and then wash as norm...see if that works

Answer by gmasboy at 5:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I only have a remedy for the future---make them wear really old clothes when they use the chalk,

Answer by emme1964 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• It may be ground in by now, always make sure the excess chalk dust is shaken out of the clothes, and rinse it out in a sink of hot water first. Then pretreat if the color is still there, then wash as usual. I'm not sure how you can get an old stain out, sorry.

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:05 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I use a pre soak and put it in a bucket with hot water. Use the hottest water the material can stand. Put the clothes in there and let it soak for at least 24-48 hours and wash it in at least warm water. BEFORE putting it in the dryer see if its out. If not, DO NOT LET THE MATERIAL DRY and soak again. I LOVE Amway's Tri Zyne! I'm amazed at the power of it without altering the material.

Answer by lostangel8 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I used clear liquid soap and rubbed the affected area together while under hot running water and the stains came out. I did this before washing.

Answer by Theresesmom at 5:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2012