Can you suggest Wheat-Free snack ideas for the kids?

When you have a child who is allergic to wheat you realized that everything children eat in school is made of wheat. How do you do it-a wheat-free snack that is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• OP- if you do a general google search on gluten-free snacks and lunches for kids, there is a lot of great info.
    Hope that helps some.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I homeschool my kids (though their food allergies/asthma were not the main reason, they were contributing factors)

Do you send snacks? Does your child eat lunch there?

Here is what I can think of. I'm sure you have these ideas already though. Fruits. Veggies. Cheese Cubes. wheat free crackers/cookies (from the health food store). when my oldest was in pubic school and in 1st grade he loved bringing rice and broccoli in a thermos

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 2:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• http://food-allergies.suite101.com/article.cfm/glutenfree_backtoschool_snacks_and_lunches

here are some store-bought snacks that are generally prepared without gluten being added. However, it is important to double-check that they are in fact gluten-free.

* Snack-sized applesauce comes in many flavors these days.
    * Fruit cups come in individual containers.
    * Cheese snacks, such as string cheese, come individually wrapped.
    * Yogurt comes in tubes and individual containers.
    * Rice cakes can be spread with a preferred topping and wrapped for snacking.
    * Rice crackers can be packed in individual bags or containers.
    * Popcorn without gluten-containing additives can be packed in individual portions.
    * Soy puddings come in several flavors.
    * Corn chips don’t usually contain gluten and can be packed in individual portions.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Thank you for your suggestions. But unfortunately my son is a picky eater and schools do not offer a nutrition program for kids with food allergies. The supermarkets in our neighbourhood do not sell wheat-free items (already made cookies). I went to Whole Foods but I can not find chocolate chips cookies wheat-free.

Anonymous

• you can go to www.allergygrocery.com and order wheat free snacks, they are kind of expensive though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I went to the site (allergygrocery.com) and they do have chocolate chip cookies $4.39 the box it's not bad...thank you so much.
    Anonymous

• "gluten" never heard of it. thank you for the tip
    Anonymous

• Gluten is a composite of the proteins gliadin and glutenin. These exist, conjoined with starch, in the endosperms of some grass-related grains, notably wheat, rye, and barley. Gliadin and glutenin comprise about 80% of the protein contained in wheat seed. Being insoluble in water, they can be purified by washing away the associated starch. Worldwide, gluten is an important source of nutritional protein, both in foods prepared directly from sources containing it, and as an additive to foods otherwise low in protein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 3:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• You can make your own cookies. Just substitute rice flour. Other snacks: fritos, potato chips, popcorn, fruits, veggies, plain rice cakes w/peanut butter & jelly, trail mix
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• my husband has a gluten allergy.go to the service desk at whole foods and they will tell you where the gluten free foods are.also there are gluten free cook books.but i know everything is really straight forward to the point.apples oranges plain meat and potatoes.go to different stores most of them have a gluten free section now.they can have hellmans mayonaise heinz ketchup. heinz baked beans.no fritos .look at the bag of potatoe chips some have gluten or a derivitive...there are no cookies out there that arent specialized.but i do know whole foods has a big selection....you have to hunt but its out there.and also if you have a question most of the companies let you call them up or you can look on line and there is usually a list of ingredients....
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2009