what is a instead cup what does it do

angel_megan

Asked by angel_megan at 2:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It is an alternate product to use during your period, "instead" of pads or tampons. It is like a small rubber cup, that you insert, and it "catches" your flow...

I did not care for it.... but many women prefer it,,, no risk of toxic shock etc. They are also called Diva Cups.
    Anonymous

• I've used them and I liked them, but I always had a hard time removing them. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but it was messy.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have always been told that they are a total mess to remove. I myself have never tried them to scared I would spill blood all over myself.
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 6:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• They are a mess to remove if you aren't careful, but they are so much more pleasant than pads or tampons.
    Anonymous

• I actually really, really, really like the Instead cups. For me, the mess during removal was worth the hassle because of how much my cramps were reduced, it doesn't "slide down" like a tampon can, and I can wear it for 12 hours regardless of whether I feel like I'm bleeding to death (lol) or it's the end of your cycle. It's a bit intimidating at first, and I think you need to be comfortable with your own body and know it well. Overall, I think it's worth it and worth a try.

For TTC, (since this is what section it's in) I've heard of women inserting one after sex to "trap" the sperm against the cervix to help aid in fertilization. I personally don't think it would make a difference because it's not a tiny little cup, it's a big disk and I doubt it put the sperm any closer than not using it would.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 7:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have known many woman that got pregnant with this help since it helps the sperm stay near the cervix versus leaking out where it could lower the chances when you stand or move at all or be washed away when you shower.
    Anonymous