My son is almost two, barely talks at all. Anyone else go through this?

winklervoyles

Asked by winklervoyles at 2:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son well be 2 at the end of june and he is not talking either and had to be put into speach therapy your son may need it too talk to your sons doctor and dont let them say nothing is wrong
    Duwanesmommy

Answer by Duwanesmommy at 3:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My son is currently 5 and he didn't talk until he was 3 years old. He is fine now. He scored above average on all his testing they did. Don't worry. He may just not have nothing to say :)
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We started our 21 month old in speech therapy because he doesn't verbalize hardly at all. He is super smart and can "manuever" us to get what he wants, so he has really needed to talk. The therapy has helped some, in that, he now has a desire to talk, and wants to be heard and understood. He will be 2 this month, BTW. I called Early Childhood Intervention so that they could assess him. They only work with them until 36 months. You could check into it, directly or thru your doctor. (Directly is faster & they can get the referral from the dr.) Maybe let them evaluate him, tell you where he is at. They will tell you if he is fine or on track. Even if he does qualify for the services, it's still up to you if you feel you should proceed, or let nature take it's course. I figured we needed all the help we could get, and if he was a little behind & I did nothing, he could be alot more behind later. Good luck to you!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• What is barely?

My oldest at 2 was mostly only using 2 word phrases still; "ball pls" - "more pls" - "baba pls" -"here go" - "that Ambers" - "thank you mama" etc...and I did take her for an evaluation and by the time they'd suggested anything she'd kind of caught up on her own...she's 3.5 now and we still need to work on pronunciation; but she's actually saying sentences and things now.

Now the LO is just 18 mos and she only says DaDa and MaMa on occassion...she's MUCH busier climbing and getting into trouble than her big sister was though so I'm hoping that's what is going on with her but I'm sure at our next appt the Dr will send us for an evaluation too...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• my son is 19 months and knows mama, dede, hi, baba.... umm that might be it,,, oh he woofs to Jack's Big Music Show too... so yea it may not be the norm but there are alot of kids like ours that just don't have much to say, his doc siad that there is nothing to worry about until 2 1/2 or so... if you are nervous talk to your doc about it
    tati17

Answer by tati17 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My son turned 2 at Thanksgiving and says pretty much anything an adult can say. He repeats all kinds of words and does use sentences. The doctor said he was very advanced. But I would suggest speech therapy. Your child should be at least putting 2 words together. Good luck and it will be okay.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We called Early childhood Intervention about our daughter 2 months ago and she was diagnosed with CAS Childhood Apraxia of Speech. She receives information at level of a 3 yr old but she talks at a level of a 11 month old.
    krazeerosie

Answer by krazeerosie at 5:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• All of my DD were saying simple words or 2 word sentences at 20 months by the age of 2 they were talking like crazy. Unless he is really behind i wouldn't worry. It seems like it will just click and one day they say hardly anything , and the next they won't shut up lol
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 6:59 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• All my son does is babble mamma and dadda. once he said daddy on rare occassions and said bubble a few time. tried to say more with the gesture but now he stopped talkin at all. just babbles. we have Early Intervention on all things that's wrong but also he wont sit still for anything, he's not holding utensils the right way, and from what the speech therapist said was he's not making as much eye contact as he should and he's not progressing on his speech as much as he should be. He just turned 2 as well in Feb. His 6 month evaluation from Early Childhood Intervention is coming up on the 18th. Its where all the therapists come together at the home and talk about improvements and what about the child. Which i have the Speech, Occupational, and a Developmentalist working on him atm.
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 7, 2009