• In the Spotlight:

My voice is gone...

So, I'm not SICK... but I dont have a voice.... When I talk nothing but air comes out. I'm throwing socks at my kids to get there attention. Sometimes clapping like a crazy person. lol *imagine the visual picture*

Here is my question. How do you get your voice back? I'm leaving for vacation later tonight. WITH OUT KIDS WOO HOO!!! But, it's going to suck b-c I can't talk !!!
HELP!!!!

DancerMomof2

Asked by DancerMomof2 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Health

• Advil and gargle salt water. I loose my voice a few times a year from allergies and I have found that Advil really helps, so does talking in a normal voice (don't try to whisper when you talk, actually makes it worse). I laughed when my doc told me that one. He also said to talk as little as possible. Other than that, I am not sure what else to tell you. Have fun on vacation.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• The same thing happened to me last year about this time. It sucked big time b/c I couldn't scream at the kids!! lol, I was scared though. I saw my Dr. who said it was probably throat cancer and sent me to an ENT. I went through all kinds of hoses being stuck up my nose and down my throat. Then they told me it was acid reflux and put me on medicine for it. I had never had heart burn but started having it then. Still, had no voice. I stopped taking the acid meds and still no voice. Then I stopped drinking Mt. Dew.......and got my voice back. A couple of months later I was "dying" for a Mt. Dew, so I had one and......lost my voice again! Good luck!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I drink Mt. Dew slushes daily!!!! Oh MY!
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Stop talking. Stop trying to talk. And DO NO Whisper. It's actually harder on your voice than talking. Drink warm tea with honey and lemon. It's probably just larangytis, but other things could cause it too.
    Anonymous

• I'm a gargle with salt water fan and suck lemon and honey lozenges. if it lasts longer than four days see a dr. It can damage your voice box. (that's what a dr told my friend who had it happen)

Answer by admckenzie at 4:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2009