WAHM

When do you work? When your baby is sleeping? At night? I'm a transcriptionist and I get up with my 6-month old between 4:30 and 5 a.m. I'm so tired by the time I can start working, I don't get much done. So I was just wondering how anyone else does it and when? And how do you not get tired...=).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I usually work when everyones asleep or just brief increments during the day when the kids are playing,napping,eating,etc. It works out decent for me,I love it and sometimes I wil even do work with the laptop and cell phone while the kids are at sports practice,etc. Just pace yourself,dont stress yourself out and when you get a free moment, do what you need to do.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Im very fortunate as my 16 yr old ss is in school allday. He does get home at 2:30 and my day really never ends til dh gets home which can be as late as 7pm sometimes. Every now and then I have to remind him that my house phone is also a business phone. I will be on the phone with a client and he picks up the phone in another room and starts dialing. I get pissed because he knows when Im in the office, Im still working and I demand that a professionalism be presented when dealing with our clients. The majoity of them think this is some huge company and it's really just me, dh and one other helper. He also like to play the tv and his music really loud. We have had some serious arguments over that one. My days are pretty peaceful for the most part, my evenings can get hectic but I love what I do and wouldn't change it for anything. I do get really tired sometimes though after having to cook, clean and work allday.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 3:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I do my transcription whenever I have time. My son is 5; I started doing this when he was 1 so he is pretty used to seeing me on the computer. Like right now I'm on here for a few minutes and then I'm going to start working again. I run my own business so luckily I can make my own hours. The ideal work time for me is during the day when noone is home; sometimes I try to work at night but find myself too tired to do it.
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• im with direct sales though
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I am with Ameriplan. I work from home about 3-5 hours on average a day. Only one of that is usually while the kids are asleep. I just let them play and do my work. I still have pleanty of time to spend with them and doing what they want and I still get a full nights sleep. I put the kids to bed around 10:30 pm and I'm usually asleep by 11... I am up with my youngest some nights and it's hard to get started in the morning but that's when I try to remember that I work for my kids. I work so that I can busine my business while they are very young (my oldest is almost 3) and will be able to retire when they are just about school age... They will have all the things I didn't. That is usually enough to get me going, no matter how out of it I am.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I've been working at home for 2 1/2 years. When I started my biz at home I was preggo so I've been through the whole newborn stages and not sleeping stages too....I now work during my kids naptimes. My 1 1/2 yr old and 3 yr old nap from 11:30 - 3pm every day so that's my work time. My 6 yr old is in school. They all go to bed at 7pm and I pick my work back up then too. I used to work while they were running around but I like having the structure now of mommy time when they are awake and work time when they are asleep. Time management and scheduling are HUGE.
    workathomemama

Answer by workathomemama at 6:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I run an at home business and started about 1 month before I had my daughter. I make a few calls during the day while my son is at school and IF My daughter is napping (she 2 1/2 and doesn't always nap). If she doesn't nap I will one night a week spend about 1 hour calling customers (for numerous reasons not just getting orders and datings). I LOVE what i do from home and mostly love it because I choose the hours I work and the efforts I put into my business. it's GREAT and it's a perfect fit for me as well as my family. I think you will figure it out it's just a matter of getting the right balance. GOOD LUCK!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 6:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yup. I program while everyone one else is a sleep. I also do online study groups (those are legitimate survey sites that everyone is really looking for, but can never find.)

Luckily my doctor feels that I have ADHD and put me on Adderall - I never sleep. Complete surprise to me. I use to love to sleep than after I'd been on it for a month my DH asked me how on earth I was keep late hours with a baby that was up every 2 for feedings. My DR took me off of it, but nothing changed. I guess it messed up my system, but I can now go days will only 2 or 3 hours of sleep a night and if I wanted to go to sleep right now I could or I can stay up all night and play with the girl all day. I hardly ever feel tired. If I don't sleep for a few days I get shaky, because of course people NEED to SLEEP. I just never feel like it.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 9:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009