what is your food budget

how much do you spend on feeding your family? Do you set a budget based on each meal, each week, each month??? or do you just prepare meals based on what sounds good or looks good when you go shopping???

Recently I have been seeing ads about feeding a family of 4 dinner for $15 or dinner for $4/person and while at the initial thought 15 for dinner for 4 people dosnt sound like much wow that would add up fast.

our current budget is $1/ person/meal granted if I do oatmeal in the morning it isnt any where near the $1/person so that helps with the budget and our deal with the kids is if we can do the $1/person we can eat out 1-2 times a month.

so for our family of 7 we are looking at a food budget of 630/month this only included the food not the other grocery products .

and on the $1 we have been eating well. last night was ham, bread, broccoli, mac and cheese and salad and milk to drink

so whats your budget?

mtnaspen

Asked by mtnaspen at 3:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Im really lucky, I don't have to watch what I spend on food. I just go and get whatever I want or think we need but I can tell you this, Im starting to see a lot people cutting back on things and if I had to cut back on anything it won't be my food budget. I love the ideas that are being presented on this topic because god forbid I do get in that situation, I will have some ideas.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 3:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• we spend about $100 a week on groceries. For a 3 person family, we make lunches for our son and my husband 5 days a week for them to bring.
    Anonymous

• Family of 7 here and I spend around $300 a month. At the end of the month the kids and I sit down and decide what we want for dinner. Then I write it on the calender and make list accordingly. Our breakfast usually consist of cereal or oatmeal or pancakes (which I buy in bulk at Sam's). We are on free lunches at the school but the kids take lunch every friday (they don't like the pizza). I make everything from scratch and very rarely buy processed foods/meals. We eat out maybe once a week with the money we save. If we don't eat out that week then we put it in savings. I always use coupons and I am only brand loyal to a few things. I am a SAHM and hubby is military, so it is very important for us to save money.
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 3:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• In my family of 4, only 3 eat solids, I spend about $150/wk on groceries, so maybe $75/wk in food items. But my family has a small farm wich provides us with 2 chest freezers full of beef, pork, chicken, turkey and lamb twice a year all organic. Also I can and freeze fruits and veggies from the 5 acre garden. I can say we eat pretty well. I can't imagine what we would do if I had to by meat. Go vegatarian.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We are pretty blessed that we do not have to budget. We do spend about $800-$1,000 each month on things like food, diapers, shampoo, etc. We are a family of 3 but we also never eat out. We don't like to eat out often so I am always cooking. I cook very healthy meals and I love to use organic products.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 3:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• $100 a week for a family of 4.
    Anonymous

• We do that one dollar per meal per person thing too! If you don't mind eating left overs- start cooking extra. you can add more to those one dollar meals if you're making enough for 2 night instead of one.

We estimate about $200 a month for our family of two plus a toddler. We also set aside $50 a month that is for bulk foods only. (And only if it's a good sale)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I buy whatever. I dont have to watch what I spend
    Anonymous

• I spend about $300 or so a month. However, about every 4 months, I go to the meat market and stock up on meat, about $200 worth. So, the monthly budget is without any meat. I buy on sale, I plan my meals, and I keep a fully stocked pantry so that I am not forced to buy something at full price. Also, we have a fairly large garden that, although not completely, does provide us with quite a bit of fresh veggies, which we also can and freeze for later use, so that saves some money too. I don't buy name brand, unless it is on sale(and comes out cheaper than store brand), and I buy bulk on some things, but not everything. For example, I buy the 5 qt container of ice cream, b/c it's cheaper, but I know that we will use every bit of it within a month, month and a half (ice cream cones, shakes, etc.). But we use brown rice, and b/c it can go rancid, I don't buy it in bulk, I just buy a regular size package. Oh, and we're a family of 3.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2009