How Old Is Too Old for a ........

How Old is Too Old for a pacifer?

I see kids all the time walking around with a paci in their mouth. WTH parents?
Take it away. If your kid is old enough to ask.. :Mom where is my paci?: Don't you think they are old enough.

I understand if your child needs it to sleep? But, in public at the park?
What gives parents?

DancerMomof2

Asked by DancerMomof2 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know how you feel. My son (who is almost 5) Used the bottle until he was 3 years old It was the HARDEST thing I've ever had to do was take it away from him. Now, he has fillings all in his teeth from it. That is a dental bill I will not pay again. My daughter is 16 months and has been off the bottle since she was 10 months old. I tossed those things as soon as I could!!!
    DancerMomof2

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Between 12 & 18 mos I took mine away during the day...they still have them for naps or bedtime and if my youngest who is just 18mos is REALLY REALLY upset I'll let her have it but the min she takes it out and sets it down; I pick it back up!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Mine daughter is 15 months and only has it when she goes to sleep. I think that she could possibly go without it at bed time but I'm too afraid to try =x

I understand what you are saying, I don't like seeing 2-3 year olds running around with a pacifier still, but to each their own. All the harder it may be for them to try and get it away :P
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• By the time they are 2 they should not be walking around with a pacifier in their mouth.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I'm with you! I know it's none of my business but it bugs me to see these kids strolling around with a pacifier in their mouths. I got lucky, my sons didn't like them so I didn't have to worry about weaning them but they got off the bottle easy enough. Not like my sister's daughter who was still using a bottle at 2 1/2.
    Anonymous

• A max. age of 2 years old.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 4:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I think our dentist said two years.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I was lucky and never had to deal with pacis, but I really think if the kid is old enough to talk, then the paci shouldn't be in their mouth...Its frustrating to see a kid w/a paci pop it out to talk and then pop it right back in again when the sentence is done!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• parent are the ones who want the pacifier and bottle for their older kids, because they may cry. If the child knows they are gone he will not cry that much. Under 2-is a good age to stop.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well....my daughter had her paci until she was 4...I know terrible! My dentist said take it away as soon as possible, preferably before 18 months. My daughter never had a paci until she was one and found it at a friends house. I gave in and bought them for her....biggest mistake! I tried to take it away from her several times, but she would cry and I would feel like my baby was growing up if she gave it up. Finally when I was pregnant with her little brother she decided to put them in a basket and save them for the baby. She still cried every night for like a week. Now her baby brother is 22 months and I am determined to take it away before he's 2! Wish me luck!
    trendy4you

Answer by trendy4you at 8:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2009