Short Term Disability benefits if not qualified for FMLA?

I recently found out I am pregnant. I have worked for my company for a year and a half now, but also know that as of December, the employees no longer qualify for FMLA due to layoffs bringing the total number of employees below FMLA requirements. So does anyone know what, if any, short term disability I can claim in the state of Illinois so that I can have a few weeks off with my baby? I will have about two weeks of vacation and sick leave to use as well.

mileymoo

Asked by mileymoo at 3:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I never heard of a company not qualifying for FMLA...I would absolutely double-check on that one. I think it's a law that needs to be followed!
    Anonymous

• I think your still eligible, go the FLMA website, I'm almost positive, since I also took my maternity leave among layoff times, it was 6 yrs ago, but the law is the same. something like any private co that employed 50 or more in 20 work weeks in this year or the calender year prior. your birth would be applicable if the # of empolyees just changed. good luck
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I believe each state's short term disability programs are different. In California I was allowed 4 weeks prior to my due date + 6 weeks of disability after the birth of my child. Because I had a c-section I was given an additional 2 weeks.
    Anonymous

• FMLA wont pay you for time off. It allows you to take extra unpaid time off without fear of losing your job to someone else. If your company no longer meets the minimum employee number, the company does not have to keep your job for you if you take off more than the 6 weeks disability.

Your short term disability program through work is who you need to contact for the 6 weeks paid (partially).
    Anonymous