Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Father

How would you feel if you thought the birth fathers rights had been terminated (his choice!) and then he came back a year later and got a court order stating the child has to go home with him within 2 months. The child has already been with us 14 months and we are very bonded. He was scared of men when he first came and has never even meant this guy. This man had actually tried to abort the child by beating up on my daughter to cause her to miscarry. Unfortunately she never presssed charges. Even though he has known where he was he has never attempted to meet him, support him, nothing. I'm scared to death we're going to lose him to a monster.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Adoption

This question is closed.
Answers (15)
  • It's good your lawyer is working on it. I'd call the retired caseworker at home or drive to his/her house to see if they could be a witness. Was there a casa or ad litem during the original case? Contact them as well. And in Texas a person can be terminated for abandonment after 6 mos of no or little contact. I will pray for you and your family. I can only imagine what you are feeling. I can't imagine this being legitimate, something has to be wrong about all this.



    Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:59 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

  • Appeal! he has not had any contact with the child and has not tried to...I am not positive but I dont think it is legal for him to just waltz on in and take the child..did you already legally adopt him?

    Answer by ChaoticSoul at 3:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • oh and if he did voluntarily terminate his rights...then he can NOT do that..he is technically NOT considered as having parental rights then.

    Answer by ChaoticSoul at 3:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • He did sign paperwork terminating his rights however a judge already said that he has to move into his home in the next 2 months! I don't understand any of this and we've already got our lawyer on the case. I'm fighting!

    Answer by baconbits at 3:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • that makes no sense. they cant take that child from you theres no way.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • So this is your granddaughter who you adopted. Did you go through all the legal channels to adopt her or do you just have custody.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • My daughters rights and his were terminated in July and our grandson has lived with us since last January. Social Services placed him with us to adopt him. We were even in court when they terminated the fathers rights so I just don't understand what in the world is going on.

    I'm all for birth fathers rights & IF he had shown any interest in him before or if he didn't know he was his son and just found out but this is just plan wrong. This is not a good place for our grandson to live.

    Answer by baconbits at 3:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • call the social services worker! if the state took him away from his mother and father..there is NO WAY that he is able to go and get that kind of order..unless he lied. So, call the worker that was on his case. She will need to be involved as well.

    Answer by ChaoticSoul at 4:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • Problem: His case worker retired about 2 weeks after all rights were terminated. The adption case worker is the one who called and said this is all going to happen. We're not taking this lying down.

    Answer by baconbits at 4:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • You should check the abandonment laws in your state you would think that law would apply to your case. As long as he knew of the child I do not see why this would be happening now. This baby is bonded with you for 14 months.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2009