I want to put my 19mnth old in swimming to help him get over his fear of water. What is the best way to break him into the situation?

He has never had a bad experience with water he just does not like showers, or pools. He can watch his cousins swim in a public pool but is terrified of any pool at any ones house. I want him to learn to swim and help him break this fear. Giving him a bath is just crazy every time!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm a swim instructor with the red cross. I find that toys help. Also take your time let him play on the steps with the toys and try blowing bubbles on the steps as well as in the tub. when he is not afraid anymore then start working on the learning to swim.

michelleC363

Answer by michelleC363 at 6:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2009

• at that age if you sighn him up for lessons you have to get in the pool with him. and they are great for breaking kids of fear of water thats pretty much what they focus on. first you just have your kid sit on the edge and put his feet in then they kind of slowly work your kid in to the water. they teach them to blow bubbles in the water and that kind of thing all while you are holding them.
    Anonymous

• my son is 19 months also, he's not scared of water, but he HATES showers too. i think its just the noise that comes from the shower head. and the fact that he's standing there getting cold compared to being in the water where its a little warmer. As for the pools, may just be the fear of not being able to touch the bottom, or the deepth.. (if its a larger pool) and feeling like he's gunna fall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2009