Short term disability?

I recently found out I am pregnant. I have worked for my company for a year and a half now, but also know that as of December, the employees no longer qualify for FMLA due to layoffs bringing the total number of employees below FMLA requirements. So does anyone know what, if any, short term disability I can claim in the state of Illinois so that I can have a few weeks off with my baby? I will have about two weeks of vacation and sick leave to use as well. PIOG

mileymoo

Asked by mileymoo at 3:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you don't have one you can't claim one and make up one so you can, gawd.
    Anonymous

• What? Make what up if I don't have what? Who said anything about making anything up?
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 3:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• And yes, ANON, you CAN in most state fall under short term disability if you are pregnant. It counts- I am just not sure what the terms are. Perhaps you should not answer questions that you have no understanding of.
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 3:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• "So does anyone know what, if any, short term disability I can claim in the state of Illinois"

What should we get out of this q? Being pregnant is not a short term disability, it's not a disability at all, so what do you suggest we tell you? To make up something so you can you have 1?

Anonymous

• Actually, it DOES qualify as a short term disability. Again, qualified answers are appreciated.
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 3:56 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well if you know that why ask? You have your answer, go apply when time.
    Anonymous

• I meant what benefits are offered by the state of Illinois for PREGNANCY RELATED short term disability... not what i can cook up to be qualified for it. Perhaps I was unclear.
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 3:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Pregnancy, in most states, does qualify you for short term disability due to the fact you cant perform all things that you could before the pregnancy. Check with your local law offices, or even a local "welfare" office, both will be able to point you in the right direction to where you can apply for the disability. Good luck.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Thank you.
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 4:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• pregnancy is not a disability you get nothing for being out of work unless the employer offers it too you state gives nothing
    Anonymous