Does anyone else live in a one bedroom apartment with kids?

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• i live in a studio apt and im about to have my first. so 3 of us. we are tryin to find a new apt though
    Anonymous

• I don't now but when my 2nd son was born I did. I slept in the living room, my older son had the bedroom & baby was in the dining room. (this was nearly 14 1/2 yrs ago..kind of moved up a bit since then)
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 4:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We had a one bedroom apartment when I found out I was pregnant. We were looking at houses anyway but decided we needed to hurry up and buy something. We thought it was important for us to have our "space." Our son slept in our room for the first year in a crib by our bed but he still had his room with his things. That was important to us but whatever works for you.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:02 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I use too. Sometimes you do what you have to do :)
    Anonymous

• Yea I can't wait for a house. A house where my son can have his own room and we can have our own room. That will be exciting. Hopefully in another year or so.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We live in a one bedroom cottage with a 22-month old. We're in our late 30's and ALL of our friends have homes. However, we wanted one of us to stay home and the cost of living here is outrageous. (Both sides of family live here, otherwise we would move) and we wanted to live in a nice neighborhood with a good school system. We can vacuum the whole place plugged in to one outlet! Sure, I would LOVE for our daughter to have her own bedroom and to have a bigger house, but we're sacrificing the space for quaint walks in a beautiful neighborhood, an abundance of parks within walking distance and a jump start on getting a quality education. We plan to get a house by the time she's 4 or 5, even if we have to rent. And then we'll make up for not having guests over right now with lots of dinner parties and drinks on the deck! I always keep families in 3rd world countries in mind, too. We're fortunate for what we have.
    tippytoela

Answer by tippytoela at 5:34 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i live in a 2bedroom house and the neighborhood sucks! Sio i can imagine a 1 bedroom apt things are unorganized here! its me, my husband and our two month old! We are trying to get a house but at the moment it seems uncertain with the market!
    sunshyne251

Answer by sunshyne251 at 10:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My husband & I live in a 2 bedroom appartment with his grandmother. She has the master bedroom & we have the guest bedroom....& now we're expecting our first. Thankfully, his grandmother said through out the next few months we can start switching rooms.......but I am a little worried about when LO turns into a toddler etc....hoping to have out own place by then...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I haven't, though I would if I needed to. My former cousins-in-law were in a 1-bedroom with two kids for about a year.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 12:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• I think it is all on how you view your situation, it can be a big privacy invasion or a adventure like camping. If you need to have privacy, put up curtains around your bed. Most children are sound sleepers so it should not be a problem. The key to success is to be organized and keep your belongings down to a minimum. Depending how old your child/children are plays a big part in your solution. When I lived in the dorms at MSU, we used to have loft beds so we could use the space underneath. Yes making the bed was a challenge, but so are bunk beds. My parents have a Murphy bed in their guest area, it is so cool and comfortable. It has a table attached so when the bed is hidden they can use it to have a meal on the table. Check out your possibilities and be creative.
    This may be a wonderful experience, you will have opportunities and conversations with each other unlike if you lived in separate rooms. Good luck.
    Diamond_D

Answer by Diamond_D at 9:21 PM on Mar. 19, 2009