At What Age Can You Stop Using Baby Detergent?

How old can you start using regular detergent?

I think I have more sensitive skin than my babies do. I don't like the free and clear detergents because I do want a fragrance. What detergents have a pleasant smell (that's not overpowering), but are also good for sensitive skin?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 4:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I stopped using it when he was about 4 months because hubby accidentally washes the babys clothes with ours and when I realized it did not effect his skin in anyway I kicked that one right out the door.
    Bayareamommy510

Answer by Bayareamommy510 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I never used it. I use tide free
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 4:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I never used 'Baby Detergent' I tried it a few times and it always left the clothed dingy and stained still. I always used 'sensitive detergents from the beginning. I also make my own detergent sometimes.

I let my clothes get a light scent from the fabric softenor instead of the detergent.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I use the "natural" detergent. I only used the baby detergent for a few weeks, until I was sure my son didn't have sensitivity. Or just use the baby detergent and add fabric softeners with scent. But really, if your child doesn't show skin sensitivity, there's no point in using special, expensive detergent. But thats just my opinion.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 4:27 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Great, keep the answers coming. My youngest is almost 11 months old and I was thinking about ditching the baby detergent because it's getting to be a pain to do some many different loads of laundry instead of washing the family's stuff together.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I never used baby detergent. I don't remember what I used when my kids were babies, but right now I use the Purex Naturals. It's all natural ingredients, and it has a great fragrance that I really love. Lilies and linen I think it is called, and they also have one that is I think Lavendar and lilac, or something like that. My youngest son has excema, and it doesn't bother him, my skin is a little sensitive and it doesn't bother me, and it's good for the environment, too.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I use the dreft but only because my son has sensitive skin and i only wash his clothes in it, all of his blankets and towels get washed with normal gain.
    Anonymous

• I use Arm & Hammer for sensitive skin.

When I bleach the whites, I do a double rinse.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• what about a free and clear with a scented fabric softener? thats what we do and most of the scent comes from the liquid fabric softener so it works good for us. (i stopped using baby detergent when i noticed that he wasnt getting rashes as easily (you know the early early baby rashes?))
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2009