Do you really believe the stories?...For any religion

I was just curious as to wether or not you believe your religion's stories?

Do you actually believe word for word things like a burning bush, or magic stones, or a snake shielding a baby, etc? Or do you see the stories as possbile exaggerations that none-the-less get the morals/values of your religion across in an intresting manner?

And I'm intrested in the "past" stories, not about miracles that have happened in more recent times...

Just a curiosity question....

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Buddhist, and I don't believe in the more 'fantastic' tales in Buddhism. I do think that a lot of it is allegorical or symbolic. I feel the same for other faiths. I took courses in world religion and world philosophy and was surprised to find how many recurring 'themes' there are in the beliefs of different religions. I think they are archetypes that many respond to and thus they are incorporated into various religions. I do think that there is a basis in fact to the stories in many faiths, but that over time they have become embellished. I'm not a scriptural literalist, I guess, and have always felt that the spirit of the faith (the teachings) is more important than knowing how much of it is literal truth.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• They are HIS stories so yes I do believe in HIStory :-) They are truth of His Word. Yes there was a burning bush , the Red Sea parted, Noah built an ark, Jacob saw a ladder with angels ascending and descending. His death on the cross and His resurrection.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have no doubt what's written in the Bible is 100% true. It is God's written word, given to us by Him, through His apostles, disciples, prophets,and by His Son, Jesus. Men may have written it,but they did it by divine inspiration,as God told them to.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• What the other posters said! 100%
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i agree with my 2 above sisters but its not a religion its relationship with Jesus
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• No. The bible is an infusion of different stories and tall tales. Not to mention that we don't actually know if it is translated %100 correctly. Funny that some people take it so seriously...
    Anonymous

• *Literally, not seriously.
    Anonymous

• Funny that some people just can't help bashing Christians, but get really upset when they get called out for anything.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• No, I take them for what they are. Myth, Legend and Fables... All meant to teach. It's like telling your kids the story of the boy who cried wolf... Did it happen? Meh... it's possible... But most likely it's just a story. But it teaches a great lesson... Don't Lie. All religions have their fables and myths. And all serve a purpose but I don't believe that most if any of them are actually based on fact. Some do have historical fact but very few if any can be backed up beyond knowing that the city or desert existed... That's like using the White house in a movie about Aliens... It didn't happen but that White house is real. In order for these stories to be useful to teach the lessons they had to be at least minorly believable. Thus they take place in real locations.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Some of them. The Old Testament tracks a lot of military history pretty accurately. Same with the Eddas. They tell stories of actual wars that happened between the original European and Eurasian civilizations.
    Other things are based in fact and can be traced back, it's just the context that is skewed. Thinks like the legend of Noah's flood. There was a flood, it was big, it lasted a really long time. In the context of people living at the time, 40 days and 40 nights was as good a number as any for something that lasted a really long time. And a flood that goes as far as the eye can see, might as well be the entire earth, because you have no idea what lies beyond what you can see.
    I can read the Eddas and study the saga of a given battle, then go to the history of the people they were fighting, and read of the same battle from the other side's view. It happened. Whether the Aesir were there, that's where faith lies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2009