Garbage Disposal stinks!!

I am having some family over tomorrow for a bbq. My garbage disposal has not been working for about a week, they are waiting for a part to come in. Mean while it stinks sooooo bad. And no way am I sticking my hand down there! Unplugged or not. I;m just not doing it, I want to keep all my fingers. So what can I do that will help eliminate the smell. I have poured bleach, dishwashing soap, pine sol and nothing. Is there anything that will dissolve the food? Its soooo gross. I tried filling the sink up with water and plunging but nope, I ended up with a sink full of stinky water.

ajerez

Asked by ajerez at 4:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Put some baking soda in it. It will eat the odor.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't know if it will work with the disposal not working, but I normally put a lemon in there.
    Anonymous

• Did you rest the disposal? Alot of times when it stops working, you can fix it yourself. I'm going out on a limb here.... stick the end of a broom stick in the disposal. try to twist the blades around with it. After you do that, press the reset button on the bottom of it.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 4:35 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• a combination of vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice. Baking soda and vinegar first, let it work for about 10 minutes, then run hot water down the drain. Add more baking soda and lemon juice.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Wow! Pretty soon she'll have a salad with chop sticks in her sink!! lol
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I second the combo of vinegar, baking soda and lemon juice!
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 4:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• lol, I already have lime in there. but now it just smells like rotten food with a hint of lime.
    ajerez

Answer by ajerez at 4:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I was told half a lemon makes it go away, but like the previous poster said, I don't know how that will go if the disposal isn't working. If it were me I would stick my hand in there, it won't magically turn on and eat your hand away. At least..I hope not. *shrug* I'd take the risk if it smelled that bad!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I put oranges in mine and run it after cleaning :)
    Anonymous

• I use either lemon juice or a cut up whole lemon.. cut up whole orange.. or baking soda... I have heard vinger mixed with baking soda works, but never have used it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2009