I have a one and a half year old and a two in a half year old. my two in a half year old isnt wanting to talk. what are fun activities to do with them that will help them talk or learn?

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 4:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He may have a speech delay. Mention it to his pediatrician and they can refer you to a program that can give him an evaluation. EARLY INTERVENTION is what helps them best. The therapist there are trained in ways to help them learn and WANT to talk. You can learn it to by talking to them and watching them work. A lot of the programs are FREE!

But in the mean time! ;) TALK TALK TALK and READ READ READ! Those are the two best things you can do for him. Point out pictures in the books and name them. Never stop your one sided conversation. Point out things in the stores ect. and name them.

My dd is 3 and has been in speech since she was 18 months old. Email me if you want!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• At 2-1/2 there should be some speech I would think, maybe have him checked for hearing problems? Does he have any signs of autism?? I don't want to sound negative but I know that early intervention is key. Otherwise, the person above gave a lot of great suggestions.
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 9:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have 2 yr. old twins and a one year old son, sometimes I think my son is saying more then my twins. I don't think it is anything to worry about, some days are better then others. I have laminated pages on my kitchen wall that have numbers, pictures, colors, etc. on them and a couple of times a day we will go to them and go over them, also I play kids music alot and I have a cd that has toddlers singing the songs on it and they try to repeat what the child is singing- maybe they can relate better with the language. I also try to read to them a lot and let them look at books themselves.
    twinsand2

Answer by twinsand2 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My son just turned 2 and hasnt talked yet. I would definitely recommend Early Intervention. I did and now i have 3 different therapists working on him in 3 different areas that he's having problems with. the ped said she was going to write a referal on getting him a full hearing evaluation but its only been a bout a week and havent heard anything on the referral. He's also not paying much attention to people when they are talking... not much eye contact as a normal 2 year old should. he just turned 2 on Feb 22nd. we werent too worried at first but now even the Speech Therapist is concerned bout not getting his attention as much as he should and that he should be improving alot more than he already has. He did start saying "bubble" but now he doesnt even say that. we had him doing the gesture for more; he was starting to babble while doing the gesture as if wanting to say the word "more" but a few weeks ago he stopped doing it.
    mom4life86

Answer by mom4life86 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 7, 2009