I want to buy a cricket expression, Is it worth $300?

tinamf

Asked by tinamf at 4:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I got one for Christmas and its a lot of fun to use but its also a HUGE money pit and a HUGE time consumer! You have to buy the papers to use in the machine which can get pricey on its own, then the sticky mats don't last very long so you end up having to buy replacements for those fairly often ($12.99 for a pack of 2) and then you really do need the little spatula like utensil that you take the pieces off of the mat with ($9.99) or the papers will rip when you try to remove them... Then you're going to want to buy more cartridges ($49-$90 each) because seriously how many times will you use the characters? Probably once or twice then you're done with picture! If you do, invest your money in the letters cartridges you will use them over and over. GL!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't have the Expression but I have the little Cricut and I use it a bunch. I don't buy stickers anymore and I do way more crafty things with my kids and for my kids. I use it all the time with my scrapbooking.

If you think carefully about which cartridges you want and then wait for a good sale you can get good deals on them. I also have two friends who have Cricuts and we share our cartridges. I also watch for the paper packs to be on sale or clearance before buying paper. I don't buy the papers especially made for the Cricut.

You can also wipe down your mats with baby wipes when they start to get unsticky and they will last a little while longer.

I admit I have more cartridges than I need, but that is because my mother in law knows I have one and buys me a cartridge at Christmas and my birthday.
    lauraslefthook

Answer by lauraslefthook at 8:23 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• I have a Cricut Expression and I must say that I do really love it. I use regular paper with mine, I did buy the special Cricut paper but it isn't necessary. I also got Sure-Cuts-Alot to go with mine, it works great and I have not had the need for any new cartridges at all. Basically it is the same program as design studio except that you can use any graphic with it. It save a TON of money. I don't have the tool kit but I would like to. right now I use stuff like a letter opener or butter knife and that works ok. The tool kit is worth it I think. Check out some ebay auctions (that is how I got mine) or craigslist to find one cheap. But yes, if I hadn't found it cheaper, I would have paid the full price for it.
    ILoveMyBoos

Answer by ILoveMyBoos at 8:23 PM on Jul. 17, 2009