Dumb question - can you sub. shredded lettuce for cabbage when making slaw?

Obviously I'm culinarily challenged... but to me, there's no difference. Is it a big NO NO to use shredded lettuce? I don't have time, really, to leave again today to go back to the store...

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Lettuce will make the slaw slimy and watery. Cabbage is crunchy and does not get soggy as fast. I would not do it that way if I were you.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't because the lettuce will be wet and wilted where cabbage has a stronger textrue and does not wilt. Just my opinion.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• If you're making it to eat right away; it won't be as crunchy as the other ladies pointed out; but it won't be horrible...if it's going to sit for any period of time; I wouldn't do it personally...Ever gotten a burger with shredded lettuce on it? It's always slimy and funky...lol
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Thanks ladies! I went out and got some cabbage because I needed some tartar sauce anyway... making fried shrimp, mac & cheese, and slaw. Dinner will just be a few minutes late. ;)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 6:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• sounds good - where's ours??? lol
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 7:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2009