Dinner-time woes?

When I make dinner each night, I make one thing. I'm not a short-order cook for anybody unless someone is ill and can't stomach the food. I make an effort to include things everyone likes.

Tonight I made spaghetti and garlic bread. My son (almost 6) refuses to eat meat unless it's a chicken nugget or meatloaf, go figure! I made the spaghetti with ground beef. Sometimes I dish his for him before adding the meat since he hates it so much but tonight I added meat to his too. He threw a fit! I told him to pick out the meat or eat around it.

Was that so terrible of me to do? It's not like it's that difficult for me to make his plate before adding the meat... I just want everyone to eat the same thing. I don't feel like I should have to deal with the hassle of preaparing everyone's meals to their likings while also taking care of the house and everything else!

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 6:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, it is not terrible of you. My kids know: I make dinner. You eat it or you are hungry until the next meal. They know if they don't like something, don't complain about it, eat around it. I have never made separate meals, except for when they were babies eating baby food out of jar. Even when one of us is sick, a lot of the time, we all end up eating the same thing. If I make chicken soup for the sick one, I usually just make enough for all of us. It's easier, and then I also don't have to listen to the sick one complaining later that they wanted whatever we had. Now, the only thing I can suggest is what about making the meat into meatballs? That's like meatloaf, and maybe he wouldn't complain then. But, that would be your choice if you want to go to all that work.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:23 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• He needs to learn manners. It is just rude for a child that age to throw a fit. Tell him if he see something he does not like, than just do not eat it. I did this with my kids and it worked out great. Do not mix anything, like put the meat next to the spaghetti that will help.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:18 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• You have done nothing wrong mama! Its not like you have given him something he is allergic to. He has hands he can eat what he wants and leave the rest.
    sanab

Answer by sanab at 6:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i agree with the second mom. My father in law WAS a short order cok to his boys, he raised them on his own. I guess he had a junkie childhood where he ates lots of thengs he hated (or better said was FORCED physically to do so, whichis not okay). Any way, my husband and two brother in laws are such pains in the ,,, My goodness, you have never ever met a bigger group of freaking babies!

My husband is the better of the three because at one point he was homeless when he was 14 and decieded he was "man enough" to live on his own (bcuz other wise thier dad was a pretty big brut(sp?) as of the last 4yrs we've been married he eats just about anything including veggies.

HIs oldest brother married a woman who doesn't know how to cook, he eats NO veggies at all, he doesn't eat chicken, or things w/ sauces except pizza, he doesn't eat this and that and or like that He's so annoying! I always tell my hub, he either eats i or goes
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 8:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• con't...
    hungry. I'm not about to bend over backwards, and the few times he's eaten at my house he's LOVED what ever I made even the things "he doesn't eat!" The man is 30 something and he's such a baby.

Then the other (middle brother) lives in and out of dif ppl.'s homes for some yrs mooching off ppl. (he's the lazzy one) and would U BELIEVE he had the NERVE to be mooching off ppl. and be picky!

When we lived in the same town he would call to ask if we had an "extra plate" for him, then when hub would say "ofcourse!", he wold say "alright what are u eating" if he didn't like it he said hed keep calling around and if he didn't find anythin he liked he wold call my hub and ask him for $ to go buy burgers!

My mom always said, if ur hungry u'll eat it, if u wont then ur not hungry enough.

I'll eat just about anything if it's been cook properly. My cousin's wife never cooks her chicken enough and it ends up pink!
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 8:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Start getting him out of tha habbit now, it's not just annoying to u but it's rude. He wont "just grow out of it" there has to be someone who encourages him.

My 3yr old eats anything except peach flavored, buble gum flavored and watermelon flavored things. It's okay to have dislikes but there has to be limits to what u deam okay.

I've met ppl. who are guests at some1's home and they have the nerve to say "I dont eat that!" or something like that. I get so embaressed for the host & for them.

The first thing I think is what a brat! Even if they are 50! lol
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 8:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2009