13 month old Son NOT WALKING YET?!?!?!

hi, i have a 13 year old son, and he still isn't walking, he takes maybe 4 or 5 steps on his own then falls to the ground. he does furniture walk, but he doesn't get too excited about walking. he has really small feet too lol. i dunno if that can be an issue. but anyways, what can i do to encourage him to walk. his cousin is 5 weeks older than him, and he started walking by his 1st birthday, and is now up and running. i know i shouldn't compare because babies walk on their own when they're ready, but what can i do to make him feel more confident to walk on his own. he seems so scared to. help anyone?

FreshEG

Asked by FreshEG at 6:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some steps are better then none! My son didnt start walking until about 13 months. He would take a few steps then fall. But one day he just took off, and never looked back! Ugh then he was into EVERYTHING lol.
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 6:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• CHILDREN DEVELOP AT DIFFERENT STAGES...AS LONG AS HES HEALTHY YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT...LET HIM FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH IT...SOMETIMES WHEN YOU CARRY THEM ALOT THAT PLAYS A ROLE IN IT...THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO MY SISTER..BUT HEL COME AROUND TRUST ME
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 6:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Just keep letting him walk like he is. Encourage him and make a big deal over all the little steps. It sounds like he's right on time. It will come to him. in 2 weeks or less you'll be chasing him all over the house.
    You could try walking him around the house. Have him hold on to a finger in each hand and slowly walk him through the house when he feels like it. Then when he gets comfortable use only one finger. ...i did this for my niece when my sister told me that she wasnt walking yet ...and she started walking the day after my visit was over!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Don't rush him. When he's ready, he'll start walking on his own. My younger daughter didn't walk until she was 15 mos. My older daughter walked exactly at 12 mos. Every child is different
    Anonymous

• My son is 18 months  and he just started walking.Don't worry your little one will walk soon.toddler boy

dawn93

Answer by dawn93 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Since he has started he will get better as the days go by. Every child is dif. like u said yourself. So far us he is not sick and eating well just let him be. He walk and get into everything before you can say cheese and then you will start chasing him around to stop scattering the house.
    sanab

Answer by sanab at 6:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Don't worry momma, soon you'll be wondering why you wanted him up and going in the first place! lol. My DD and her little cousin are very close in age, and my DD started walking at 11 months. Her cousin didn't get up and moving on her own until almost 14 months. The are both perfectly normal, very happy and healthy 2 and a half year olds now. Point is, in a year you won't care when he started walking. :)

Also, I think the PP's suggestion of letting him holding your fingers and walk around the house was a great one. I would also sit out a bit from my DD, help her up, and call her to me, acting excited and using fun voices. She would get excited and wobble at me. Good luck momma!! He'll get there!
    nattabugsmommy

Answer by nattabugsmommy at 7:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I wouldn't worry until he is 18 months and dont whip out that measuring stick when other babies are around to see how he measures up he will do it when he is good and ready. My girlfriends baby was 9 months old and STILL Not crawling then by 11 months he was walking so dont stress it yet
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Just let him be! If he is taking 4-5 steps then he is walking! My 2nd didn't take a single step until he was 14 months old. It is perfectly normal for him to not be walking at this age. He is just a baby, give him time!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My son is 14 months old, almost 15 months old and he isn't walking yet, he took 8 steps the other day and I thought that was awesome! I have a 17 yr old girl and she was walking at 1, I have twin girls that are 2 and one started walking at 15 months and the other didn't walk until 21 months, we did tests and everything on her and she is just fine, so with my son I am not going to worry, I think they just have minds of their own and when they are ready they will do it!
    twinsand2

Answer by twinsand2 at 9:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2009