How do I get my 18 month old to stop pulling my hair? He thinks it's funny.

dawn93

Asked by dawn93 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When he does it and you are correcting him to stop make sure you don't laugh cos that is what make them think its funny. You can also pulll on his and let him know thats how it hurts you when he pulls on yours. Some moms might disagree on pulling on his but believe you me it works for me.
    sanab

Answer by sanab at 6:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I agree with sanab, thats exactly what i was goona' say!
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Ha Ha I mean gonna' say.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• lol me too but also what worked for me was when my dd did it I would immediately grab her hand... and since she is pulling my hair means that she is pretty much eye level with me so I look her dead in her face with me still holding her hand and my hair and say very stearnly NO THAT IS NOT NICE... very serious looking and not the least bit happy then let go, relax my voice and being to nicely pat her head and say nice...lol.. she did pull my hair a few times after that but EACH time I did the same thing...now if she goes for my hair I say nice and she gently pats my head...
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• ps.. I think you have to be strong at that moment also..afterwards, if you are holding him put him down and walk away..in any case after it happens walk away and let him play.. if they start to cry just say its ok... go play with ur toys, stay in eyesight but get busy and do something else.. I know this sounds weird but I also did this. I did it to really see if my dd would understand that it wasn't nice and see a consequense(sp) I wasn't scolding her and she could continue playing I wanted to show her that b/c u pulled my hair I don't want to play with u right now...I didn't stay away for long. when I did this I saw dd playing with her toys and she would glace at me like I think I shouldn't have done that....
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 7, 2009