Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When a dog is marital property... long story/ question

My soon to be ex husband and I bought a beautiful Doxie named Roxie. His credit was/is sh*t. So Rox was bought under my name in MY credit. When we broke up my mother told me to leave the dog there. I went and tried to get her back only to find out that I had to go to court to get her back. By the time I even thought about getting around to it he moved to Key West, roughly 300 miles away. Now I'm left footing the bill for her as well as the other debt he helped me run up. I had to be admitted because of all the stress he has put on me. I see not one drop of money from him. I wish my damn lawyer would hurry up already!! ANYWAY my question is can I go down there and get her with or without a court order? He can't charge me with stealing cuz she's in my name... can he?

Answer Question

Asked by SillyMomma at 7:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Pets

Level 9 (324 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • I would do it with the help of the police and local animal control officer....and make sure you have all paperwork with you.
    I live in MA, so who knows how the state laws differ. Honey is a professional dog trainer, but his (now ex) wife did all the vet appointments for his dogs. When it was time to put the old dog down, they were divorced, but all vet papers were in her name. The vet would not do it. So in their case it wasn't about who bought it, but who was on all the vet papers. I know you're not putting the dog down, but think of anything that may have either of your names on it.

    Answer by EireLass at 7:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • When you say she is in your name are you talking about that she's charged to your credit card? A charge on the credit card, I do not believe that qualifies as her being in "your name." I think you should ask your lawyer just to be safe before driving all of the way to Key West. Now, if she's AKC registered with your name as the only owner, that is different. I think the best thing to do is to ask for her in your divorce settlement or sue him in small claims for how must she cost if he refuses to return her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • Well anonymous all of what you said is pretty much exactly what is happening now. In fact i contacted Judge Judy. Thats all i want is the money for her. Cuz i know he's good to her. But its wrong of him to fuck me over like he has been.

    Answer by SillyMomma at 8:58 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • lol..Judge Judy..Make sure you're right in all this so she doesnt chew Your ass off too!!lol..

    Answer by tnteaton at 9:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

  • oh yes i know haha truuust me if i get on i'm going to write a damn speech about everything that happened from day one. its not too hard to make him look like an ass. He does that to himself. I just wonder if hed show up...

    Answer by SillyMomma at 9:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pets
take treats nice

Next question overall (Babies (0-12 months))
8 month olds