Do you believe the bible is accurate?

I do believe in God. I am Lutheran. But I just can't bring myself to believe everything the bible says...considering how long ago it was written and translation...you would think that something had to be omitted, changed, and added! I feel bad for feeling this way and I want to believe it all to be true but It is just hard when I think about it....am i alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There was a question about this before and it inspired me to take a look at how the Bible came to be. There are some books out there on the topic that explain how the manuscripts got passed down through the years and how they were tested. They compared manuscripts from nearly 2,000 years ago with current scripture and it is the same . They explain how there have been errors such as scribal errors (putting Christ Jesus instead of Jesus Christ or scribing the same phrase two times but there are NO errors in the message being delivered when compared with more recent manuscripts........just minor "typos" as we would say.  By the term Bible I'm referring to the KJV, NLT, NIV.....I believe it is the true word of God. He said He would preserve it and I have faith that He did, otherwise He'd be a liar and I know my God does not lie.

deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• No you're not alone. I don't believe in any of that jazz!
    Anonymous

• its faith. you have to have faith that it all happened. many biblical things have been documented in literature other than the bible.
    GiannisMomma

Answer by GiannisMomma at 7:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I am soooo with you, I consider myself a Christian (kind of), I do believe in God, however I really do not believe most of the bible. I agree it is like a bad game of telephone. Plus I believe that my God or Jesus is not that sexist.
    Mommy3b1g

Answer by Mommy3b1g at 7:53 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yes I do ... The bible is the Word . the Word is God , God is the Word. If I believe in God, Jesus and Holy Spirit then yes I better believe the Word too. Otherwise I do not truly believe in God if I do not believe in the Word who IS GOD! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Sometimes i struggle with things like that also. but the most important thing is that you know and believe jesus was gods son was born a human died for our sins and rose agasin. dont get me wrong the bible is important, and i believe in it. because the men wrote it with God. in revelation it says not to add or take away from the bible. so i truley believe that it is accurate. god is in control of everything and when men translated it, he was in control then, i dont think god would allow them to mess up because it is for his people.
    3giftsfromgod

Answer by 3giftsfromgod at 8:00 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I understand where you are coming from. There are many times that I have questioned how accurate it can possibly be. However, I believe that God is the way. It is normal to question or doubt, but dont just doubt. If you find yourself doubting something about the Bible. Do something about it. Research it and find out for yourself. I assure you that you will not be disappointed.
    Nolamomof4

Answer by Nolamomof4 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• yes i believe in the bible 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000%
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 8:42 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Nope. I was written by man like every other book and thusly can be fallible.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• lol! no way is all of the bible truth. it was written by man, not God. and the catholic church did a good amount of editing and omitting. you are not alone!
    AmelieH

Answer by AmelieH at 8:52 PM on Mar. 6, 2009