Aliens vs. religions question.

This is hypothetical.. lets say there are 20 other planets out there that have life... 14 including ours have intelligent life forms (things like humans, however may vary obviously in looks etc to suit their planets needs).

Now say you are a Christian, and in the book it says that you shouldn't honor another God besides him.. is he the designated God for this planet while the other Gods are designated to others... or would you say he was the designer of EVERYTHING? Do you think other life forms have their own form of Jesus?

Now say you are a Pagan, would you say there are Gods and Goddesses that help each of these planets by themselves as well? What is your take on how this would happen.

Other religions? How would you see religion playing a role on other planets that substain life?
Now this question is hypothetical, no bashing.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 8:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christians really can't answer a hypothetical question like this....it has too many issues that can't be answered. We can start out strong by saying there is one God who created everything....but then when you get to Jesus Christ's birth and death and resurrection and how that would be of any value to beings on another planet.....there is the pitfall! Of course, God could have simultaneously, or at a time He felt or feels is appropriate for each particular planet, give them an opportunity like this in whatever form would be meaningful to them! And then we could imagine various religions on the other planets with various theories and beliefs about the whole thing as well....The beings on the other planets could also be created in one God's image because I don't necessarily think that God looks one particular way, Of course who knows for sure????
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:30 PM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I'm atheist, but am curious to see how others would feel as to how their religions fit into this view.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:33 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I believe that the Gods/Goddesses exist in an alternet yet connected reality to our own... Another dimention if you will. They would have a vast kingdom including other planets. They created it all so why wouldn't they rule it all. Now, since I do believe there are innumerable Gods it is more than possible that the "Mother/Father" Goddess/God of each planet would differ. But they would rule as a whole. The way they do here... Each Goddess has a role to play and each works with the others to make the unit run propperly...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:40 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My gods have a very limited scope, and they concede all territory outside their own to whatever other gods might be in residence, so I would say those planets get whatever gods they want. Any other planet out there would be its own tree.

I like that idea, we're one tree in the forest.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:28 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My Christian answer....There is only one God. I can't even imagine thinking that there are "gods" out there (sounds too much like Greek mythology). Because I believe the Bible, I don't see the reason for trying to conceive ideas about anything else. I guess my faith is too strong in God, the one and only.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 11:05 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I'm a Buddhist. I don't believe in a personified deity/creator god. What I would define as 'God' is the ground of being- the energy that forms the universe, which all things come from and return to. So having other planets with other sentient beings would fit into that just as we do- we are all part of the energy of the universe, we come from it and return to it and alien life on other planets would do the same.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:07 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• army_wife2000:
    so you think then, that God (being the one and only) is the one that not only watches over us, but other galaxies as well? or just us? and if so.. do you think he has other sons out there?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:44 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• remember this is hypothetical.. we can't prove as of yet if there is other intelligent life out there. but lets just say there is for the sake of the question.
    xxhazeldovexx

• well, as a xtian, since i believe God created the heavens and the earth, i always assumed the 'heavens' included all of 'space'. therefore, if, hypothetically, there are other life forms on planets other than earth that are able(as humans) to worship a god, i'd assume, again, that they'd be subjects of worship for God.
    hypothetically.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• "And God said let us make man in our image, after our likeness...." So humans are pretty much in the image of God and "people" who have 6 legs and purple scales are probably in the care of a different God
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Mar. 7, 2009