Litter Training a Kitten

How in the world can I train my 8-9 week old kitten to stop pooping on the door mat and in the little box?!?!?!

madelyns_momma

Asked by madelyns_momma at 8:36 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Pets

• I have a kitten that I found as a stray at approx 4 weeks old. The mama died b/c of a neighbors dog. :( But... I had to bottle feed her and teach her this stuff... the best way I found to get the kitty to use the litter box is to put her poopies into the litter box... so she smells it and knows its supposed to be there. You may want to let it get a few "clumps of stuff" in there first before you scoop it... And, you'll need to get rid of the door mat, cause it smells like poopies & peepee the so kitty thinks that's where she's supposed to go. Maybe cut a small piece of the rug and put it in the litter box too. It's all about getting the kitty to smell that THIS is where the poopies go... Hope this helps. good luck
    jenyjoy

Answer by jenyjoy at 5:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2009

• We've litter trained all of our kittens by starting them out in the bathtub. Kittens don't need to be able to roam an entire house. It can end up be dangerous for the kitten to have them running all over the entire house. There's too much for them to get stuck in (under the fridge, inside of recliners, getting stepped on and crushed on the stairs...I've heard it all). Being in such a small space next to their box of sand, they could find it easily and prefered to go into the sand in the litter box by nature (cats like to be able to bury their excrement). Once they learned to consistently go there, then I moved them out of the bathroom/bathtub area and into the rest of the house. Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• This kitten came from a litter that was born inside our home (cat lovers, keep your rude comments to yourself) so I doubt he's appreciate me locking him up in the bathroom when he's been used to the whole house. You know what I mean? I wonder if I took the welcome mat away (it's kinda scratchy, maybe he likes that feeling????)...my biggest concern is him just pooping on the carpet. Hmm....
    madelyns_momma

Answer by madelyns_momma at 9:03 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have always taken my kitty's to the littler box many times a day. I take the paws and I move them in the motion tht they would. Do it often and keep and eye on them...When I see tht they are going to the litter all by them selves I stop bringing them...Good luck'
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:46 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My kittens litter trained themselves kinda! it just took us showing them where the box was. I had a few issues for a few weeks they were there with them pooping on the carpet beside the couch, I just put a litter box there for a few days and moved it slowly to where I wanted them to use it.. and waa-laa!! presto, it was done! I havent had an issue since!
    It could be the feel of the rug, cats have a natural instict to eliminate in sand or soil. perhaps the mat just feels too gritty?!
    mommyto3rugrats

Answer by mommyto3rugrats at 12:19 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• I don't agree that kittens should be locked away at that age--at about 8 weeks, that's when they wean and are ready to be on their own, so full roaming is needed. If you've had him since birth, why isn't he litter trained yet? His mom should have trained him. But the past answer that said to put him in repeatedly through the day and swipe his paw in the litter hit the nail on the head. Also, you can try other litters (if your other cats don't mind) to see if he just dislikes the kind you're currently using (that was the issue with our newest addition).

There are sprays that you can use on the welcome mat that should deter him as well, available at Petco, Petsmart, wherever. Also, if you catch him about to poop, grab him and move him to the box right away. If he's already pooped, take him and the poop to the box, put the poop in and use his paw to cover it with litter. (reinforce proper behaviors)
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 12:25 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• Can you remove the mat and put the litter box where the mat was? Could be the litter type. Cats really seem to prefer the more "sandy" textured stuff as opposed to the crystals.....Good luck, cat poo is pretty gross when it's not where it's supposed to be!
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 3:45 AM on Mar. 7, 2009