I'm just can't decide whether to breast feed or not?!

I have done so much research. And i know its the best start for my baby. But, I have been looking around A LOT. And I keep on falling on the stories about overbareing mothers who still breastfeed at inappropriate ages.

Most of them changed there minds when they got pregnant and just breastfed and never stopped.
(personally i am disgusted by this)

I'm scared if i breastfeed i will become one of those mothers and breastfeed past -what i consider- an inappropriate age.

Any suggestions on how i can make sure i don't let that happen?

(I don't want to breastfeed past 6 months)

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:01 PM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeeding your baby for 6 months would be great for both of you. It is free, and better for your baby. There are no bottles to prepare, and makes for easy middle of the night feedings. You can choose to breastfeed for as long as you like. You decide what is appropriate for you and your baby. Do keep in mind though that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a MINIMUM of one year of BFing and the World Health Organization recommends a minimum of 2 years. Some of those moms may have changed their minds after learning the benefits of nursing longer. Also, once you have breastfeeding going along well at 6 months old you may realize why would I want to now buy a bunch of bottles and formula and go to all the work of fixing bottles and washing them when all I have to do now is lift my shirt, I'll just keep it up for a few more months...
    Even if you only BF for a week and your baby can get the colostrum :-)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• When your baby comes, just give it a shot. If it works for you and your child, then that's great. If it doesn't then use formula. You will know what is best for the both of you.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Try it and if you don't like don't do it, your not a bad mother either way. IMO I think up to age 2 is enough.
    Anonymous

• I cant help you with the timeline because I breastfed for 10 months, I personally wouldnt go past 12 months. But what I can tell you is I loved BFing my son, it was always ready, the right temp, I always has it on me, never ran out, didnt cost me a thing, didnt have to mess with bottles, and late night feeding were so easy.. just pop a boob in his mouth and go back to sleep, next feeding just pick him up,roll over and give him the other one. The hard part was the first few weeks, we were both getting the hang of it and of course you dont have a whole lot of milk at first so I was BFing every 20 mins or so it seemed like, he was easy to wean to a bottle and cup..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:08 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Write out a plan month by month and mark off the days.

For instance, as you get closer to the six months, your plan will show how you are to make progress weaning and moving on.
    Anonymous

• Wow another question that has 'Fake" written all over it. I notice now these people try to add more to their pages, but the fact the person just joined today and then writes something like this...not buying it.

Next will be an answer from the OP acting confused etc....and pretending to be real...
    Anonymous

• Well, I dont have advice on how to make sure you stop at 6 months. if you are planning to do that. I dont think you will have any trouble. I gave breast feeding a try. I only did it for 2 weeks. I would have continued for longer but I was cracked really bad on both sides so I just couldnt stand it one night. You will figure out if it works for you. And with how busy my life is now, I dont know if I would have lasted very long anyway.

Just follow your instincts and what feels right. You will know.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Anon 9:09

I'm an 18 year old pregnant girl doing as much research aspossible to make mine, and my babies life as best as i possibly can. There is nothing fake about me diving in and asking questions. I don't want controversy and i don't want insults. I just want some point of views. Why would i waste my time writing fake questions? Thats like saying im not taking my pregnancy seriousy.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I've been breastfeeding for almost 12 months. It's ALOT easier than formula and it's free.. Not to mention its so good for the baby and for the mom. I lost all my baby weight and more by 4 months pp. And there's no making bottles/heating formula in the middle of the night or when you go places. It's just so easy to take the baby out. I didn't want to try it at all, my husband insisted and now I'm so glad I did. Most babies wean themseleves so I wouldn't worry about going too long.

kaliebugsmomma

Answer by kaliebugsmomma at 9:15 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Okay OP, what is so "innapropriate" about nursing past 6 months. My daughter is 14 months old and I am 28 weeks pregnant with anothe rbaby and my 14 month old still nurses. Is that gross? I am nuroushing my baby. Ther eis NO dispute that breastfeeding is best. That is what God made for babies. If formula was best, THAT would come out of your boobs. I'm just SOOOO curious about what is wrong with breastfeeding past 6 months.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:16 PM on Mar. 6, 2009